Super hearing possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Nov 26, 2001.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Strange thing happened to me today. My computer monitor was making an awfully annoying sound. Very high pitched but quite prominent.
    The sound isn't the strange part though, I was the only one in our area that could hear it. Remembering that females have higher frequency range I invited some ladies to listen. Only about 1 in 4 women could hear it. Does this mean I have ultra sensitive hearing even though I'm male? Is this the reason I am so picky when it come to audio gear? Might just be.
    Thanks in advanced for any input, cause if its true I can justify to my wife why my gear costs so much [​IMG]. Do some people just have a wider frequency range outside of 20-20k?
    grammar

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

If memory is serving me correctly, the highest tested human was out to about 25kHz -- I'd have to dig out the Acoustic Renaissance for Audio paper from Meridian to be certain.

20hz - 20kHz is kind of like 20/20 vision, there are certain individuals with higher acuity than "standard". I'm lucky enough to correct to 20/15 presently, for example.

Regards,

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Well, because of the incident I'm lovingly being called "dog-boy". guess I should take it as a compliment then (strange - I listen to music pretty loud). Would more sensitive hearing make one more critical of stereo gear?

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

5. Dom H

Dom H Agent

I can hear if a tv is on (no sound) when I walk into a room. Can hear (sense) a really high pitch.

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I believe that high-pitched TV noise is 13 or 15 KHz. I could be wrong, and it might be higher. I can hear that too, but it's hard to notice sometimes. Usually, I notice it when a TV is turned off.

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I hear the TV noise too. I can tell from the next room if the TV is on or not.

There used to be a sporting goods store at my local mall that had a monitor in their system that made such a loud noise that I couldn't bear to be in that store.

I took a dozen people in that store and none of them could hear it.

I loved the place, but every time I went in there, I had an almost uncontrollable urge to pee on the floor.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The TV is 15.75kHz for horizontal scan, 60 fields @ 263 scan lines per field.

A computer monitor will be dramatically higher.

Regards,

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah i can hear the TV too.. [​IMG]

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I can hear nearly all NTSC TVs at 15.75Khz. I didn't realize how much it bothered me, until I spent some time, in "silence," with my new HDTV (at 31.5Khz for 480p). I've actually contemplated upgrading my bedroom TV (a fairly "quiet" Sony, so to speak) because of this. Yes, I am so anal that I would drop $2500 to get rid of flyback coil noise. [​IMG]
    I occasionally hear my monitor making a high pitched squeal. However, I run at 1024x768 at 85Hz- a 65Khz scan rate. I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm hearing. [​IMG]
    You're probably hearing a harmonic, or perhaps some "supporting" circuitry noises.
    Todd

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

What an interesting thread! I've always wondered about the hi-pitch from TVs, and now I got my answer! Awesome. [​IMG]
    On a related note, I know sennhiser advertises that frequencies up to 100kHz have an affect on human enjoyment of sound..is that claim true?

12. andyg

andyg Agent

Turn it down. Your frequency is in my head. Sorry. Someone had to say that. I too can hear when a TV is on, but my wife cannot. Then again she is a few years older than me and remebers the '70's disco music. I wonder how much that affected her hearing......

---Andy Garabedian

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I think everyone hears the tv's. I can't sleep w/ mine on mute in my room, but I can w/ the PC on. Go figure. I guess high pitches are more annoying. I can hear fluorescent lights when they are on. I don't have super hearing. I can sleep through my alarm and turn it off w/o knowing it went off.

I can hear people thinking. I can see dead people. Ok, now I'm getting silly.

14. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Ignorance is bliss at times. [​IMG] Having a good ear can really spoil a lot of things.

15. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

from my experience...
    people with a background is music (live music) have a very accute sense of hearing. I believe my hearing improved a LOT after I learned to play the flute, piano, and trumpet (though I suck at the trumpet)... not only was it more accurate, the range and loudness also improved [​IMG].
    now, I could hear the TV humm in the basement when I'm upstairs (when it's quiet). AND IT'S ANNOYING!

16. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I can hear the TV flyback coil frequency, but I can also hear those piercing high frequency devices that some stores use to keep birds from building nests under storefront awnings.

When I cringe as I walk past those emitters, people wonder what's wrong with me. Nobody I know can hear those things despite how loud they are. I wonder what frequency the bird-away emitters operate at?

Like a previous post suggested, I am a musician too, which may account for my acute hearing. Or vice-versa; the hearing might have made me a good musician!

-JNS

17. Allan F

Allan F Agent

John,
    interesting thread. 20 -20kHz is in fact an average and as someone else mentioned it is entirely possible to "hear" above and below that range. No two people hear exactly the same thing because sensitivity at various frequencies will vary from person to person. For example, you may be particularly sensitive at the frequency of tone the TV produces and therefor could "hear" it better than everyone else around you. This does not, however, represent your hearing thresholds at frequencies above and below this point.
    It's a logical conclusion that it is much easier to be critical of equipment if your hearing thresholds are really better than normal but think about this. The judgements you make of equipement are based on your hearing thresholds alone and may not necessarily apply to others. A different listener is likely to hear a different tonal quality based on his or her audiometric configuration. No one speaker can really ever be the best for this reason. The old saying "different strokes for different folks" definately applies here.
    An interesting bit of info on the side. Most of our "hearing" actually takes place in the auditory cortex of the human brain. The human brain is arguably the most adaptable organ on earth. Evidense suggests that the auditory cortex actually learns to use auditory information better with practice. Based on the information, one could easily argue that listening to lots of equipment would make you a better reviewer because you are simply more likely to hear subtle differences.
    Allan
    (Clinical Audiologist)
    [​IMG]

18. LanceM

LanceM Auditioning

Happens to me as well. Background in violin and guitar so I listen to things a lot but not sure how that would affect it. Actually I had rather poor hearing as a child when I had to have tubes put in my ears. I do hear the aweful squeal in a certain restaurant on campus from a radio or appliance or something. I have never seen anybody else notice it and it is always packed but I can barely go in there. I think its just one of those things some of us are sensitive to. Luckily only sometimes I really notice it outside of that one example but when I can hear it it is very annoying.

19. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

What does your audiologist tell you?

20. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

God, My computer monitor was makign this aweful squealing noise, I had to turn the refresh rate up on it, and it was already pretty high so it would quit making the noise. It was giving me a headache...