What's new

SUPER FRIENDS:The Legendary Super Powers Show (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I didn't write the news item, and Dave didn't say Cyborg was in this show, he said Cyborg was in "1985 - The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians." ;)

Gord

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Still hoping they go back and release the Filmation stuff from the 60s (some of which they are getting to with the Superman set in June).

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Does this include Galactic Guardians too? It seems odd that they would ned two discs for two hours of material.

There was 8 half hours of Legendary Super Powers (all 15 minute segments) and 8 half hours of Galactic Guardians (some 30 min, some shorts)

-=-Legendary Super Powers Show-=-
# The Bride of Darkseid (Part 1) (1-1)
# The Bride of Darkseid (Part 2) (1-2)
# The Wrath of Brainiac (2-1)
# Reflections in Crystal (2-2)
# No Honor Among Super Thieves (3-1)
# Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Magic Lamp (3-2)
# Case of the Shrinking Super Friends (4-1)
# The Mask of Mystery (4-2)
# Darkseid's Golden Trap (Part 1) (5-1)
# Darkseid's Golden Trap (Part 2) (5-2)
# Island of the Dinosoids (6-1)
# Uncle Mxyzptlk (Super Brat) (6-2)
# The Case of the Dreadful Dolls (7-1)
# The Royal Ruse (7-2)
# The Village of Lost Souls (8-1)
# The Curator (8-2)

-=-Galactic Guardians-=-
* The Seeds of Doom
* Ghost Ship (short)
* The Bizarro Super Powers Team (short)
* The Darkseid Deception
* The Fear
* The Wild Cards
* Brainchild (short)
* The Case of the Stolen Super Powers (short)
* The Death of Superman
* Escape From Space City

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Yes!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
Been waiting a long time for this! Bring on the rest of the series. Love Firestorm!

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

You kids could destroy a man's confidence in his eyesight with those tactics!

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
wow I'm not sure what kind of math I was using earlier. 8 half hours = 4hours,

Must have been early in the morning.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
this sounds neat. I'll definately grab it.

Is this the series that had the PSA's? I remember Aquaman teaching about water safty and such. It would be great to have those on the appropriate set.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I remember a lot of superfriends "crafts" as well. Like making a fake telescope out of spools of thread. Has anything like that, or the PSAs been included on any of the older Superfriends sets? Nice extras if they are.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
This was my favourite Saturday morning cartoon growing up but I don't own any of the sets released so far and I'm not sure if I will purchase this one or the others yet. I'm not sure how well these cartoons hold up after all these years. I remember some of the Marvin, Wendy & Wonderdog episodes and the Challenge of the Superfriends ones where they face off against the Legion of Doom each week. I also recall the PSA where Wonder Woman talks about fire safety. It was a great show when I was a kid but that was long ago.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

This is how I explained it to my wife: Releases like the Super Friends are, for me anyway, pure nostalgia. They're not great shows, at least not without my memory of being a kid and being thrilled by them. The animation and the stories, even the vocal performances, are intended for children. That said, they did have a nice style to them, and did make up a part of childhood Saturday mornings that I enjoyed tremendously.

Releases like Batman: The Animated Series are classics - the animation and the stories in that show (and its companion shows, Superman and Justice League) will hold up for as long as people have interest in these characters. They appeal to children, but are written, illustrated and performed in such a way that adults can continue to appreciate them.

I write a little bit more about the differences between the Super Friends and more modern shows in my review of Justice League Unlimited Season 2: http://dvdsam.blogspot.com

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I may be in the minority here, but the only Super Friends I care about are the original 1973-74 shows with Wendy, Marvin and Wonderdog! You can keep the Legion of Doom and the schlocky Wonder Twins. Why hasn't Hanna-Barbera/Warner Bros. released the series that started it all? Well?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would assume WB is going through the incarnations they believe will be the most popular. No need to panic, they've gotten this far and I doubt they're going to give up on the "franchise".

Wendy, Marvin and Wonderdog were the best. I'll be the first in line if they were to release that season!

For me, that is the Super Friends, and all the others come in a distant second! So you can count me in the minority as well...

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Ive never seen the 73 episodes with the wonderdog, I hope it all gets released, but I really want to see World's Greatest Superfreinds from the season immediately after Challenge, that had some awesome episodes like Lex Luthor Strikes Back.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Nice reply, I have very fond memories of the show and I recall loving the stories, animation and vocals. I'm no longer a kid so I'm not sure I'll be able to sit through them, I am interested in the series though, just not sure if I want to buy them yet.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot belive I'm about to type this--since I'm the type of person who always rolls his eyes whenever there's a debate about box art--but the Wonder Woman model used on the DVD cover shown in the press release is not the same one that's featured in this version of Super Friends. LEGENDARY SUPER POWERS, I believe, features the first appearance of the "double-w" breastplate and not the eagle. Also, I believe this season features a new voice for Wonder Woman. (Can't remember if the change happened here or with the GALACTIC GUARDIANS series.)

I also thought the redesigned Brainiac was pretty cool (and seem to remember his fight with Apache Chief and the Wonder Twins), but, jeez, is this the season that the decidedly un-LEGEND-ary El Dorado joins up?

Still, I've been waiting for this incarnation of SF to appear and hope they get to the Cyborg GALACTIC set soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks