What's new

Super Bowl, Stanley cup, 2003 MNF in HD from ABC (1 Viewer)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
THE ABC TELEVISION NETWORK ANNOUNCES IT WILL BROADCAST

MAJOR SPORTING EVENT FINALS, INCLUDING THE SUPER BOWL,

GAMES OF THE NBA FINALS AND STANLEY CUP, IN HDTV

2003-2004 Season of "Monday Night Football"

Will Also Be Seen in HDTV

ABC Television Network president Alex Wallau announced today that the most-watched and highest-profile sporting events of the year, including the Super Bowl, games of the National Basketball Association finals and the Stanley Cup, will be broadcast in HDTV on ABC this season. In addition ABC announced that it will broadcast the 2003-2004 season of "Monday Night Football" in HDTV.

"Live sporting events provide the best platform to showcase the dramatic benefits of high definition television," said Mr. Wallau. "We’re delighted to broadcast these sporting events in HDTV, including the most-watched television event of the year, the Super Bowl."

ABC currently broadcasts the majority of its primetime schedule, including all of its scripted dramas, comedies and theatrical movies, in HDTV. The 2002-03 primetime HDTV broadcasts, sponsored by Zenith Electronics Corporation, include the new programs "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," "Life with Bonnie," "Push, Nevada," "MDs," "That Was Then" and "Less Than Perfect." These programs join such ABC stalwarts as "NYPD Blue" and "The Practice" in high definition, bringing the Network’s total HDTV primetime broadcasts to more than 13 hours per week.

ABC was the first major network to broadcast in HDTV, beginning in November 1998, and it is the only major broadcast network currently airing its HD programming in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound. All of ABC’s programs will use 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format.

In September 2001 ABC made a major commitment to HDTV programming when it began broadcasting the majority of its schedule in HDTV, including all of its scripted primetime comedy and drama series, as well as all theatrical movies. For the 2001-02 broadcast season, ABC broadcast more than 260 hours of HDTV programming, and the Network plans to broadcast even more hours in HD this season.

ABC began broadcasting high-definition television, including Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound, beginning on November 1, 1998, with the theatrical presentation of "The Wonderful World of Disney: 101 Dalmatians." Since then ABC has broadcast many other theatricals in HDTV, as well as numerous sporting events. Those include the first live, regularly scheduled HDTV sporting event in primetime, the 1999-2000 season of "Monday Night Football." ABC has also broadcast "Super Bowl XXXIV" and the "2000 National Hockey League All-Star Game" in HDTV. Currently 64 of ABC’s owned and affiliated stations are broadcasting digital TV, covering 63% of the nation, with 48 of those stations broadcasting in HDTV.

ABC will air Super Bowl XXXVII on January 26, 2003, from San Diego, CA. The NBA finals are scheduled for June 4-18, 2003, and the Stanley Cup for May 31-June 9, 2003.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Wow! Here's hoping Shaw carries HD content by the spring. Man, watching the Habs beat the Avalanche in HD to win their 25th Stanley Cup would be sooo sweet :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Great news! :) With this announcement and the ESPN announcement it seems like things are finally starting to look up for HDTV content.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I don't receive any High Definition via antenna, only by Dish.

For those of you who have seen ABC's 720p, how does it compare with "true" high def, 1080i, on comparable programs (live vs. live, sitcom vs. sitcom)?

Thanks.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Looks like im going to need to get a ATSC tuner by the time the superbowl airs. If im going to have a superbowl party and have a HD ready TV its just a must have.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas now - a HD Set Top Box! Here's hoping FOX never gets the Superbowl back! ;)
Peace,
DM

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
That's great news. Except for the fact we are stuck here in St. Louis with a Sinclair owned station. We will probably not get HDTV until either the station is sold or hell freezes over.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who have seen ABC's 720p, how does it compare with "true" high def, 1080i,
Where did you get the idea that 720p isn't "true" hidef? You need to be better informed. Do a search on the ATSC Hidef standards, and you'll see that you're wrong. I've seen 720p on my home system, and it looks superb. I was also at Widescreen Review magazine, and had the opportunity to compare some 720p D-VHS tapes prepared by Joe Kane to 1080i D-VHS tapes.

FYI, the 720p tapes had the best looking images that day.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
For sports, especially, 720p looks better than 1080i if your set can display it natively. Upconverted, even just by my STB looks really good, though not as good as 1080i (the only HD format my set can actually display.)

If you're talking 720p v. 480p it's no comparison. 720p is light years better.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Man - time to start thinking about a 720p capable display. still 1080i upconversion still rocks.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
It had to be a mistake on Titans part..ABC will not broadcast MNF in HD untill next season.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
And now, as of last week, our local ABC affiliate just began broadcasting in HD. The Superbowl will truly be seen in HD at my house. Wooooooohooooooooo!

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks