Super Bowl on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex-C, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Are the Super Bowl DVDs just NFL films highlights of the game or are they a complete copy of the broadcast ?

2. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

The current ones are highlights only.

Chris

3. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

okay now that is established, please, for the moment put aside all rules and laws concerning rights of re-broadcast and ownership regulations

[rant on]

Isn't it time NFL films and ABC and whomever else is involved gets together and starts putting the broadcast of the super bowl on DVD !

I know several friends of mine who tape super bowls and savior them for future watching. It just seems like an untapped market for these people. commercials or not....most likely, not.

Consider the whole HD broadcast that could be converted to a fairly good looking DVD, which would be a whole heckuva lot better than the crappy cable version most of us saw.

If I were a Bucs superfan, I think I would buy SB 37.

Also, I may be in the minority here, but I think its time NFL films gets overhauled. They seem to be putting out the same dated production of all things football that they have done for the last 25 years. I believe Steve Sabol is in charge over there. I am just tired of the super-duper-like-watching-paint-dry slow motion replays over and over and over again. but that's a rant for a different thread.

[rant off]

okay, I feel better.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

5. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

would've been nice to see a fairly good game.[​IMG]

:edit: not a fan of either team, just wanted a watchable game. the commercials were pretty swell though [​IMG]

6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I thought this one was going to be the game itself? It says that "The 2003 release will contain an unprecedented 3 full hours of Super Bowl coverage including every series from the game as originally broadcast".

?

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

But, not in HD.
    O' well, wait till 2004!

8. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

Still, is it in the entire game or not?

9. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

This last one sucked. I want the Steeler wins in their entirety. The NFL does have it head up its ass about this.

10. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

11. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I hate to shatter your dreams, but you will never, repeat NEVER see a home video release of an original NFL telecast whatsoever. Nor for that matter will you so much as ever see an NFL telecast repeated on ESPN Classic. The NFL is the only major sport for which ESPN Classic can not show telecast repeats.

The reason for this? NFL Films. This in-house organization is so highly protective of what they have done over the years, that they are determined to suppress all of the NFL telecasts there have ever been from getting any exposure again. Without the NFL's permission, there can be no repeats, let alone any licensing of a telecast on video.

This has not stopped determined collectors like myself from acquiring old telecasts through the trade network, but that's the only way you can ever revisit an old telecast. In the meantime, don't dream about NFL games on DVD that aren't NFL Films highlights because it's never going to happen. Period.

12. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Eric,

13. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

To me, the idiocy is the NFL being the only major sports league to do this suppression of old telecasts. Just tune in ESPN Classic, and you will see telecasts of all other major sports down through the decades in baseball, college football, the NHL, the NBA, and even tennis, golf and auto racing. The only holdout other than the NFL is the Olympics, because the IOC rates would be too high for rebroadcast (though an exception was made for the Miracle On Ice hockey game of 1980).

The real joke was NFL Films putting out that Super Bowl III video in the "Greatest Games" series on VHS which featured every play from the NFL Films camera, and then having Curt Gowdy, who called the game on TV for NBC, doing a phony re-enacted play-by-play over the footage! Heck, I've got the Super Bowl III telecast and they could have at least used that audio or the radio call instead.

14. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    From the Warner Brothers press release:

"The partnership will kick off with the biggest event of the year, Super Bowl XXXVII. WHV will release the Super Bowl DVD on February 11 in record time – a sixteen-day turnaround from the championship game. The Super Bowl Champions video, historically among the top-selling sports video of all-time, will feature an unprecedented three hours of extended programming and deliver a complete Super Bowl experience. For the first time, the DVD will include action from every series; pre-game and post-game analysis;
    behind-the-scenes footage from Super Bowl week; and coverage of the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl in the colorful, dramatic fashion that only NFL Films can produce."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=118574

15. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

And all of which that is described in there has nothing, repeat *nothing* to do with the telecast. NFL Films has separate crews that records all of that action on low quality film, totally independent of the TV cameras and that is the stuff they will be forcing down the throats of fans once again.

16. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    This is a Warner release with NFL films, its the complete game not just highlights. The highlight film of the past were NFL Films only.

17. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

It is not the telecast. That is the point I am trying to make. You will see NFL Films versions of the plays, and not one scrap of telecast footage.

18. Randy A Salas

19. Randy A Salas

Today's updated press release from WHV confirms what I and others have been saying all along, that next Tuesday's DVD release of the Super Bowl will be just highlights and not the whole game. From the release:

20. Jim Benard

Jim Benard Stunt Coordinator

They should master every Super Bowl broadcast onto DVD and charge some outrageous price for each one. People would pay any amount for the classic SBs. But I agree it will never happen [​IMG]