What's new

Super Bit releases of Gladiator, Jurassic Park 1,2,3, and The Mummy in Japan (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
cdjapan's site is up right now

Japanese home video prices were set when the yen was closer to 200 to $1US, so now that it's closer to 120 to $1US, prices are higher

Try buying domestic stuff. I pay on average $50-60 for a concert DVD

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If anyone gets these, can they do an A/B and post any differences...? :)
Also, (slightly off topic...) I searched the CDJAPAN site for any "Buffy" to no avail... Are the sets even out over there? I would think Japan would be a HUGE market...
Would love to snag a "Once more..." in NTSC, so's to avoid any PAL speedup..
Any info...?

Thanx! D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
According to IMDB, Buffy just started airing in Japan less than four months ago. I agree you'd think it would be popular enough over there they would haave started it years ago like the rest of the world, but apparently not. Then again, it is a soap opera and those don't port as well across cultures as other genres.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Aside... Anybody know how Buffy will/is being presented? 4x3 all seasons..? Switch to 16x9? 16x9 tilt and scan of seasons 1 to 3? They are pretty ws savvy there. I remember being in Tokyo 5 and a 1/2 years ago and there were WS sets EVERYWHERE!
Anyone getting the Japanese Superbits???
:) D

CraigL

Screenwriter
I was thinking of getting the new A Few Good Men for the DTS but it's not really a sound heavy movie so who knows.

Probably not picking up any of the others. Would be interested in JP and TLW but since they're both in DTS over here...not too much to tempt.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Buffy will likely be just like X-Files was. The US discs with the menus swapped, and the French swapped with Japanese

Japan is very OAR and OSL friendly even if they were doing their own discs

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
All Jurassic Parks belong to Universal for Region 1, so there will never be a Superbit of them.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think Jurassic Park 1 & 2 could be bettered for region 1 anyway. The DTS versions have outstanding video transfers, IMO. And obviously, the audio will probably never be transferred again at 1509.5/kbps anyway (damn I HATE those extras!).

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Cliff, JP 1&2 are not impressive in regard to video (at least on an HTPC). i see a LOT of room for improvement. there's probably more chance of these coming out on DVHS before a DVD reissue in region 1 [which i can't see happening anyway].

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Mine looks great on a Mitsubishi Diamond 65" WS, and with my top-of-the-line Sony DVD Player (NS999ES). I guess I'm easier to please ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
While Jurassic Park 3 looks excellent, I can't say the same for Jurassic Park I. There are artifacts and what looks like edge enhancement. I mean the picture looks decent, but not what I would call excellent.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
On Buffy, I'd ssay it's almost guaranteed they'll use the transfers from the R1 sets. There's no sense ponying up a bunch of money to redo them for such a small market. Not that Japan is small, but the Japanese Buffy market is probably quite small as the show has barely aired there.

greg_t

Screenwriter

For what it's worth, I have both the Jurassic Park DTS LD and the repressed DTS DVD and hard as I try, I can hear no appreciable difference between them. They sound like the same mix to me. So even if the dvd were full bitrate DTS, it may not make much difference.

RobD

Second Unit
I think I may get the R2 PAL Superbit Gladiator, only £10 at Play and I was annoyed the original relase wasn't 6.1.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
DON'T DO IT !!!! PAL speeeeed up!!!! stick with NTSC. what's the point of having better sound if it's wrong ?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wow, CDJapan is expensive. They want $13.00 for s+H for 1 DVD...!!!!! dang! AmazonUK is only charging $4.50 s+h for a whole BOX SET!!!
So, to get Rollerball SE... $33 + $13 = $46... OW!!!!

Anywhere else cheaper?????

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks