JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I watched my Super Bit "Fifth Element" last night on my trusty old Sony DVP-S3000 with no problem. Since it doesn't pass DTS, I thought I'd try it on my second system which has a Samsung DVD-N501 DVD player. After several scenes I started noticing some bizarre artifacting which was probably the worst in the scenes where Gary Oldman is walking down the tunnel before and after meeting with Agnot. Several parts of the shot just block up grey. Sometimes it looks pretty bizarre, kind of like the FX haven't been completed.
Anyone else have this problem?

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I had no problems with the disc at all playing through a Toshiba SD9000. I thought the DTS track was a big improvement. The video while better was only slightly better. I played them back to back which is the only way you could notice the difference.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I think that it's your Samsung DVD player. I've had a tonne of problems with them in terms of artifacting and skipping especially when they get hot.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying this is your problem, but that's a common symptom of overheating. Several problems like this on cheapie Chinese players for instance are corrected simply with a heatsink on the video chip.
BTW, I trust your Samsung doesn't skip? Other Samsung players like the 611/711 are among the worst players I've ever seen in terms of playback consistency. Errrr.... scratch that. They consistently skipped on virtually all DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, etc.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tried the disc again last night and watched about half the movie with no problem. Must have been a fluke.
I have never noticed this player skipping on DVDs. It does occasionally have some trouble with mp3 CDs, but I have tried several different models and brands and they have all had trouble. I think most of this was because the CDRs I use are rated at 16x but they don't seem to be too reliable when burned at that speed, so I went back and reburned some at 4x and that seems to have pretty well eliminated the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks