Super Audio Wins Latest Vote Among Audiophiles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Check out the following vote from Stereophile:
    http://www.stereophile.com/vote.shtml
    I think this is good evidence of Super Audio's popularity among the audiophile segment of the music world.
    Even DVDA supporters have to admit that promotion has been terrible.
    The good news is the next poll is that same issue! [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, sorry, but yippee. What audiophiles think about the two formats means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Warner and hardware manufacturers are continuing to support DVD-Audio, and Sony is not doing nearly enough to try to translate the supposed popularity of SACD among audiophiles to the masses.

No offense, but results of such a Stereophile poll that favor SACD are what I would expect to see over on the Hi-Rez Highway on Audio Asylum. Wait, I saw it there earlier this evening.

Lee, please don't think I am attacking you. I just don't find this information as encouraging as you do.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith,
    No problem, everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if I am right as usual. [​IMG]

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,
    All this says is that Sony has done well with their target market, audiophiles. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The sales rates remain abysmal in comparison to CD....
    In response to specific points:
    SACD could have the advantage here -- although I suspect once the pirates decide to attack the problem they will get around this.
    Regards,

5. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I still like SACD the best and I guess you can call me a consumer rather than an audiophile.[​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

By the way, if I worked for Warner or any other company with a vested interest in DVD-Audio, I wouldn't participate on the Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum. There is a clear bias there, and legitimate questions/discussions about DVD-Audio are very often met with disrespect. Furthermore, the folks at Warner have to realize that DVD-Audio can suceed without the blessing of the folks (small population) at Audio Asylum. With DVD-Audio being a common feature in $200 DVD players, who needs the audiophiles? The audiophiles will not drive the ultimate success or failure of either high-resolution format. If the audiophiles do not buy into DVD-Audio, all that means is that DVD-Audio will not become a niche format with them. That's fine. There is a much bigger picture out there, but right now, that bigger picture is largely a blank canvas. Hopefully Warner (and Sony) have plenty of paint.

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm gonna try and not dumb down the conversation for this topic, but i'd like to give my point of view on this.

I purchased a JVC DVD player a couple years ago for about $400 which had the ability to play DVD-A, now you can buy the same player for about $200. Looking at this from an economical point of view a DVD-A player is much cheaper then purchasing a SACD player at this time.

I just recently purchased my first 2 DVD-A discs and have enjoyed the sound and quality of the discs, granted I don't have the full capabilities of listening to them on a huge DTS 5.1 audio system.

The discs i purchased were cheaper then the regular CD versions and one was even purchased from Columbia House. IMO with CH getting a small library of DVD-A discs should help that market out a bit and get the J6P consumer interested in what DVD-A is all about.

Paul

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. John Kotches

Paul,

Please don't consider yourself as "dumbing down" a thread merely by participating.

In fairness, the cost of entry to SACD has gone down dramatically with clearance prices at $159 for the DVP-NS500V, $199 for the SCD-CE775 and $249 for the NC-650V.

See a reply I'm making to Keith momentarily.

Regards,

11. John Kotches

Keith and Lee:
    I was highly disappointed to see that a new Sony progressive scan player (I don't recall whether it was the 715P or the 755P) was introduced at the US$200 price point which did not include SACD playback capability.
    OTOH, Panasonic's players at the US$200 price point (the RP-82) and Toshiba's (SD-4700 and its replacement) support DVD-Audio playback.
    Are we, or are we not in Mass Market phase with SACD?
    It's the $200 price point players that are purchased as "starter players", and lack of inclusion at this price point completely misses the stealth upgrade I've addressed on several occasions.
    From my point of view DVD-A has gone from the entry level market and branched out into the high end (Meridian 800 and 598, Arcam's upcoming effort, Muse's player et al), SACD has used the opposite approach.
    Perhaps if the first DVD-Audio player had been the Meridian 800 the "$nob factor" of many audiophiles would have been triggered.
    Regards,

12. John Kotches

Mike,
    Nice rant, err post [​IMG]
    Check players at the $200 price point and see the offerings for both formats in the DVD player aisles at Best Buy. You'll find DVD-A from JVC, Toshiba and Panasonic. For SACD offerings at the $200 price point you'll see....... Nothing If you go digging to that hidden away multi-channel kiosk you might still find a DVP-NS500V or a DVP-NC650V, but people buying DVD players won't go there to find a DVD player.
    As far as the "ToDo" list for DVD-A, there are new recommendations for DVD-A Authoring released by WG-4, which can be downloaded here.
    This addresses many of the complaints that have been made about DVD-A authoring, including some I made way back in 2000 (made it to virtual print in 2001)......
    There is no one company that owns DVD-Audio, which is a tremendous marketing advantage for SACD, as Sony/Philips own the format and have substantial financial interests in its success.
    Regards,

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    This just in! Beta rated superior to VHS by videophiles!
    [​IMG]
    Whether one or both formats prevail will have very little to do with what audiophiles think. I'm not choosing sides, BTW. I have and enjoy titles in both formats, although I do not have DVD-audio hardware, so I try to limit myself to titles like the Rhino and EMI releases that have some of the high resolution content on the DVD-Video layer.
    Regards,

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. John Kotches

Lee:

A little more active moderation @ the Asylum would go a long ways to weeding out the worst offenders on both sides.

Regards,

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

18. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I should of done my homework on SACD players! I didn't realize they had come down so much in price.
    I may have something to add to my christams list this year!! [​IMG]
    Paul

19. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

As a software guy for the past 20+ years I know that people grow an affinity for platforms and stick with them. I also know software is required to run on those platforms.

On the SACD side I have recently picked up or ordered:
    Spiro gyro - modern times
    Alison Krauss - new favorite
    CCR - willie/poorboys & cosmos factory
    Stones - hot rocks 1 & 2
    Big Brother - cheap thrills

On the DVD-A side I'm going back to pick up a couple I missed first go around such as:
    Doors - LA woman
    Natalie Merchant - tigerlily

Sadly, I need to hit a bb or tower for a redbook moondance as the DVD-a didn't make it.

Look, they're both wonderful platforms that can go far on the wealth of music from the past 50 years. It would be sad to see either die. Maybe DVD-A can do the second half of the stones catalog, then split the fab four the same way. Now that would generate years of discussions!

20. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer