What's new

Super Audio Production Making Progress (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Many of us here get frustrated when good releases like CCR are pushed back to later dates. A lot of this recently was due to the massive pressings for the Rolling Stones.
Alas, companies are making progress in making the addition of hybrid disc lines (redbook + Super Audio) more readily implemented. Singulus is one such company as mentioned in this news story:
http://www.m3online.com/cgi-bin/Indu...cgi?1033670933
Hopefully this will minimize future pushbacks as the new format matures and gains volume in sales.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
Alas, companies are making progress in making the addition of hybrid disc lines (redbook + Super Audio) more readily implemented.
Of course, Sony is not one of these companies. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of Singulus.
Phil,
I have read that the CCR SACDs will be out tomorrow (Tuesday, October 15th). Hopefully we will not experience another delay.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
Sony is not one of the companies mentioned in the press release but they have been making hybrid discs as we discussed earlier on the Forum when we discovered Stones SACDs pressed in Japan...by Sony! :D
From High Fidelity Review's article of David Kawakami at the recent AES:
At the present time, Sony has 3 pressing plants in the US, Europe and Japan that produce Single Layer SACD discs. During his presentation, Kawakami confirmed what many in the industry had speculated on since August - Sony's Japanese SACD plant is now producing Hybrid SACDs as well. The first Hybrid SACD production line at Sony Japan went on line in July and a second line at Sony Japan went live on September 30th. Each of these lines will produce 12,000 - 15,000 Hybrid SACD discs per day.
You can now issue :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for Sony since they are going hybrid.
:D
Full Story: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=12191210

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
O.K., so when we can expect the first Sony titles in hybrid form? ;)
Ryan,
Thanks for the CCR update.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm pretty sure the first 2 CCR's have been pushed back to about 7 or 8 November or there-abouts. I got this off either Acoustic Sounds' or Elusive Disc's site, can't remember which...?
Yea-auh Lee, when is Sony gonna do the right thing?:) Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, it seems like those CCR SACDs are getting pushed closer and closer to that date we all abhor...the 12th of Never. :frowning:

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure I trust the elusivedisc.com dates -- they've been weird lately, and changing often. Right now they list "Cosmo's" and "Willy" on 10/18, "CCR" and "Bayou" on 10/20, and "Green" on 11/30. I don't think that makes much sense.

The acousticsounds.com site (which is affiliated with the discs' label, so I tend to believe them more) lists "Cosmo's" and "Willy" on 10/14, and the rest on 11/30.

Since 10/14 has come and gone, who knows...

Ryan

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
O.K., so when we can expect the first Sony titles in hybrid form?
There are two issues:
When will Sony produce hybrids? Have been since July.
When will Sony issue their own titles on hybrids?
Probably soon as production picks up. They seem to be hinting that their own lack of hybrids has been due to pressing hybrids for others. This makes sense as Sony is likely guilty of practicing good business strategy - offer hybrid capacity as a marketing tool to gather more labels on the SACD bandwagon. It certainly worked no matter what you think of Sony.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
This is why I always say, "I'll believe it when I see it", when it comes to new titles on SACD or DVD-Audio. Too many delays.
Lee,
I can see it now. Sony will release Miles Davis Kind of Blue as its first hybrid SACD. Of course, it will be released as a hybrid stereo SACD. Then about a year later, Sony will re-release Kind of Blue as a hybrid multi-channel SACD. That will make four versions of Kind of Blue on SACD in four years! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
Miles is very good but he crowds out too much other good jazz IMHO.
Miles is awesome, but I do agree with you. He is immensely popular, and his catalog is so extensive, that there is plenty of music to keep people occupied. I am feeling that right now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks