Super Audio News Update

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Aug 30, 2001
    Two interesting releases on Super Audio of note:
    Oh Yeah! Ultimate Hits
    (Columbia C2S 86700) (2 SACD Set)
    Ultimate Hits is a double SACD disc collection of Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. The album contains 30 songs including hits that Aerosmith had on both the Columbia and Geffen Records labels. In addition to the hits, this collection also includes two new songs: "Girls Of Summer" and "Lay It Down" which were recorded earlier this year.
    In A Silent Way
    Miles Davis
    (Columbia CS 86556)
    Recorded and released in 1969, In A Silent Way is a well known jazz album that some feel was the first full entre into jazz fusion by Miles Davis. The album features a host of well known jazz artists backing Davis including Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland and Tony Williams. When played back in the new Multichannel SACD mix, this album features the sounds of the piano and organ players (Corea, Hancock and Zawinul) appearing in different spots in the sound field.
    I am particularly excited about the Miles Davis SACD. [​IMG]
    We also reached a milestone in Super Audio hybrid production...
    Sonopress announced that it has reached a milestone in its manufacture of Hybrid SACD discs. On August 5th, it passed the 1 Million mark of Hybrid SACD discs that it has manufactured at the Sonopress production line at Gütersloh, Germany. This figure covers more than 400 different Hybrid layer SACD titles from over 50 labels that sell Hybrid SACD discs.
    Hybrid SACDs use a special process developed by Sonopress and Philips that result in a disc with both a conventional CD layer and a Super Audio CD layer. The result is a disc that is compatible with both CD and SACD players.
    Sonopress says that "shortly after SACD was launched, it soon became clear that this revolutionary technology was being received very enthusiastically by both the music sector and by end-users. SACD delivers superior sound reproduction quality to consumers, offering them an unmatched ability to reproduce the original source with state-of-the-art fidelity."
    The growing demand for Hybrid SACD disc production has encouraged Sonopress to install a second production line which is scheduled to double the Gütersloh plant's capacity starting in September, as part of its partnership agreement with Philips (see our earlier story on increases in SACD disc production below).
    Once the Stones are out, we will see a lot more titles as capacity becomes available.
  2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001

charles white Second Unit

Jun 9, 2002
    My favorite Miles Davis album now on SACD? I think it's time to step up to SACD. Though I can do w/out the multichannel remix.
  4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Mar 14, 2000
    I'm curious as to how you know you can do without the MC remix if you haven't heard it yet?

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    The news I want to hear is that Sony has set-up production of hybrid discs and quits saboutaging it's own format with single-layer discs. I've looked at Sony's release list and it's the same old, same old [​IMG] .