What's new

Super Audio CDs: Work on only certain players? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
After hearing the news of Dark Side of the Moon coming to Super Audio CD, is it possible to play the 5.1 sound from a normal DVD player?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question...it probably is..)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
A non-hybrid Super Audio CD will play only on a Super Audio CD player.

A hybrid Super Audio CD will theoretically play on both Super Audio CD players and CD players. Discrete 5.1 channel sound would be only on the SACD layer.

A non-SACD-capable DVD player or DVD-ROM drive might be able to play the regular stereo CD layer of a hybrid SACD. I say "might" because it's also possible that the SACD layer would fool the DVD player into thinking that it saw a defective DVD-Video or DVD-Audio layer, in which case the disc would not work at all.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

It looks like there may be a possibility that a DVD-A of DSotM will come out in the next year of so. If so, then you would be able to listen in surround on your system. You may be part of a certain demographic that certain format-bashers believe should be ignored.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Thanks...

I'm thinking of upgrading in the future to a prog. scan/DVD-A capable model, so I'll probably wait for that.

IMO, the digitally remastered CD sounds wonderful for the time being.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, just note that most DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-Video-compatible layer with Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1 tracks. So, if you have a DVD-Video player, you can access the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, but not the DVD-Audio tracks.

Before getting a DVD-Audio player, you might want to consider a universal model (DVD player with SACD and DVD-Audio). You didn't state what you budget might be, but Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A universal player for $270 later this year. Zenith will also be releasing the DV-318 universal model for $200 this year.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's worth the wait to have both. Many of us have had two players for quite some time and it's kind of frustrating, but both formats are worth a whirl.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip, I have no issues with owning separate components for DVD-Audio and SACD. Given that some of the universal components seem to be compromised, especially on SACD, I am very happy with the separates route. I also put less wear and tear on a component by having separates than if I had a universal machine.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
The hassle is that very few recievers have 2 5.1 inputs for DVD-A and SACD so that you have to buy a switch and have a mess of cables and most of the switches are either manual (meaning you have to get up and switch them yourself) or they are expensive. I think a unversal player is a great idea and I may even get one myself so i can get rid of my two seperate players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, that's a fair point, though I am using the inexpensive Radio Shack switch boxes ($30 for two) and modestly priced cables (Radio Shack gold for one and Monster Interlink 400mkII for the other) and don't mind the set-up. I think people make too much of a deal about the "rat's nest" or "mess" of cables. Yes, there is a cost involved, which is a bummer, but my cables are out of sight. No big deal for me.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I think people make too much of a deal about the "rat's nest" or "mess" of cables.
Agreed, until you need to unhook stuff when moving equipment around or adding a shelf. Maybe this happens more often than one would like :rolleyes:.

But I did it anyway, thanks to Dark Side :emoji_thumbsup: .

Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm sick of the "rat's nest" of cables. I have seperates and I already have more cables than most peope folks. If Pioneer made a pre version of the VSX-49 I'd buy it and a 47Ai. It would cut down on my video cabling too. Audio-vidiots, like us, tolerate the cable mess. Many people just wouldn't. Pioneer used to make lovely seperates...:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks