What's new

Super Audio CD needs standard packaging, si? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Who's tired of Digipacks, splipcases, and garden variety Jewell cases? Me, for one!
I'm tired of Jewell cases that slide out of slipcases like a snowboarder going down Mt. Everest....or are so tight that you can't get them out! I've never liked Jewell cases since I saw Super Jewell cases anyway.

One of these days I figur I'll be manufacturing new cases for all the bleeding broken digipacks I got with the Stones, Dylan, and Sting. Digipacks = DIGICRAP!

SACD needs it's own identity and it needs to be Super Jewell cases, me thinks.

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i'm all for new cases, but make them the mini lp designs(like the japanese cd releases). high quality paper and printing, with a plastic or paper sleeve to hold the sacd. gatefolds, inserts - something interesting, a work of art.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I like the Super Jewel box, but I hate the jewel boxes DVD-A's come in. They are too big, hard to open, and impossible to take apart to get the security tag out.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, you ain't seen nothin' yet till you see the packaging for thr Jeremy Monteiro Trio's A SONG FOR YOU KAREN. It takes the cake!:)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
SACD needs it's own identity and it needs to be Super Jewell cases, me thinks.
I like the Super Jewell also.

Larry is also right about the DVDA packaging. Our managers at Tower (and other retailers) hate em since their racks are designed for redbook dimensions.

The Super Jewell looks a bit distinctive with the rounded corners and better hinges. Having the clear spine (from front) makes the "Super Audio" notation easier to see as well.

Digipacks suck because they are not durable.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what you mean by "Super Jewell," but I hope it's not those big ones like DVD-A.

In my world, all SACDs (and all CDs, DVD-As, and any digital music media) would be packaged as such:

- CD size- this is important so it can fit with my other CDs and I can arrange music by artist and album, not packaging style.

- Jewell cases, so that they can be easily replaced when they get cracked

- no freakin' slipcases

If making SACDs stand out is important, have the logo emblazened on the spine (inside, of course).

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
My Steely Dan Gaucho CD came in a super jewel case which is nice, but one of the clips that hold the booklet broke when I was opening it so it doesn't close properly or hold the booklet properly. Not exactly thr most durable case.
I agree on the DVD-A cases. A bit too big and near impossible to open.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Super Jewell case: maybe like the one the Chesky DVD-A test disc comes in? A jewel case, but a little big bigger (and formal looking) than a CD case. I thought it was kind of difficult to get the booklet out though. But would be nice to differentiate SACD from CDs and DVDs somehow.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I like the Super Jewel Case. Functionality wise though, the redbook/SACD version has the same problems as my oversized DVD-A Super Jewels: either too hard to open or the opening mechanism breaks on the first opening, and removing the security tags many times results in the little tabs which hold the tray insert breaking. Still this is the best alternative to date, and much perfered over regular jewels and digipacks.

Larry is also right about the DVDA packaging. Our managers at Tower (and other retailers) hate em since their racks are designed for redbook dimensions.
That's funny as the Towers near me in Philly actually have racks that perfectly fit DVD-A. Maybe Atlanta is just a little behind with the times ;)

Talking to the managers at both my local Tower and Best Buy stores, they said they are actually perfer the oversized cases for selling Hi-res as it helps to differentiate the product line from standard redbook. One of their biggest aggrevations are returns of single layer SACD from confused consumers who purchased the discs accidentally only to find it will not play on their CD player. Never under estimate the ignorance of many shoppers.

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Justin, never underestimate the ignorance, arrogance, and greed on Sony and Universal's part in choosing to market single-layer discs. They've suceeded in pissing off consumers and retailers, totally unnecessarily... Whoopee do!:thumbsdown: To market SACD any other way than le hybride es DAFT! ...but you knew that...:)

For the slightly mis-informed or confused, the short Super Jewell cases are the ones Chesky, DMP, Groove Note, Analogue Productions, Rounder, Telarc, Heads Up, ect. use... The better labels, IMO. The tall ones are for DTS & DVD-A discs.

I'm glad SACD is in the short ones. 'Dem's I's likes.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Not to be picky (well, maybe to be picky), but why the hell are all of you spelling it Jewell, instead of Jewel? I can understand that the first post is a typo, but why are the rest of you duplicating it?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
...I just throw away the slipcase...I don't need a duplicate of the booklet artwork.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Super jewel for my "Super Audio" discs please.

Why I wouldn't want my "Super Audio" discs in just any ordinary packaging.

The super jewel cases are nice and differentiate the "Super Audio" discs from just the garden variety cd's.

I don't much care for the slip cases that some of the older "Super Audio" discs came in. Especially the paper ones.

Hopefully Sony will scrap the slip cases on all future "Super Audio" releases. :)

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, you ain't seen nothin' yet till you see the packaging for thr Jeremy Monteiro Trio's A SONG FOR YOU KAREN. It takes the cake!
I'll check it out, my favorite cd packaging (besides the japanese mini lp reproductions) are:
Tintinnabulum: Organ Works by Arvo Part,
and any from the Rubinstein collection (vol.56 is a "must have")

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, you'll get the mini-LP packaging inside a package that looks like a Valentine Day gift with Monteiro's album. It even has a little removable card on the front. He has Jacintha as a quest vocalist on several cuts too. Best wishes!:)

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
Ooh, ooh! Are we voting? I vote for the standard jewel case that CDs come in. They fit in the same CD racks we've already got, and they don't take up as much space as the larger alternatives. You can fit a 2 CD set into a single case (like Heart's Alive In Seattle does).

I hate the big super jewel cases that most DVD-A/DTS discs come in...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Darryl, there are short Super Jewel cases that fit right in your spaces. Most non-Sony SACD's come in them. The taller ones are the ones DVD-A comes in, I'm not wild about them either. Best wishes!

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the confusion. I thought the thread was referring primarily to the oversized cases that DVD-A's come in.

I've got some non-Sony SACD's in the short super jewel cases. I don't mind the smaller super jewels, although I find them harder to open than traditional CD jewel cases, and I don't know why you'd call them super if the main difference is rounded edges.

As for the bigger cases, I've trimmed a couple of booklets down to standard CD case size and gotten rid of the big case. But trimming the booklet and other paper packaging usually means chopping off lyrics or credits, so I'm stuck with a few positively annoying cases that I have to keep in a drawer instead of in my CD cabinets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks