Sup Placement and Cable Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

First let me just say that I am a relative noobie (actually a computer geek "expanding his horizons") so please, go easy. Ok I have two questions.

1) I have a Klipsch KSW-12 sub and I have a placement dilema. The best place, physically and asthetically would be in the closet that I have converted into my HT rack. However, I am not sure what putting the sub in a closed closet will do to it sonically. Any advice? BTW, the closet has metal doors with mirrors on the outside and it has plush carpet

2) A long time ago (3 weeks) I was under the impression that Monster was a very good company and made very good cables. As such, I bought an entire armanent of monster cabling (not the super high end stuff, but the stuff you find in curcuit city, best buy, ect.) and power supplies. Now, as I browse the forum I am seeing a general dislike for Monster. Could someone tell me why they are bad, and if so, are they still better than the dental-floss interconnects that come with components?

Thanks

Jon

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jon,

First, welcome to the Forum!

3. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

Jon

Compromising the sonic values for asthetic values can only go so far. The best place for the sub might be in the middle of the floor(not likely), but you're not going to put it there and walk around it all day. So you need to find a place that gives you the best balance of the two. Best place being the middle of the floor and the worst in the closet. Maybe you could submit a picture of you're lay out and let some members give you some ideas.

As for monster cable. My entire system runs it. I could do a lot better for a lot more money. I don't feel like I got shorted for the money I spent.