What's new

Sup Placement and Cable Questions (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
First let me just say that I am a relative noobie (actually a computer geek "expanding his horizons") so please, go easy. Ok I have two questions.

1) I have a Klipsch KSW-12 sub and I have a placement dilema. The best place, physically and asthetically would be in the closet that I have converted into my HT rack. However, I am not sure what putting the sub in a closed closet will do to it sonically. Any advice? BTW, the closet has metal doors with mirrors on the outside and it has plush carpet

2) A long time ago (3 weeks) I was under the impression that Monster was a very good company and made very good cables. As such, I bought an entire armanent of monster cabling (not the super high end stuff, but the stuff you find in curcuit city, best buy, ect.) and power supplies. Now, as I browse the forum I am seeing a general dislike for Monster. Could someone tell me why they are bad, and if so, are they still better than the dental-floss interconnects that come with components?

Thanks

Jon

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jon,

First, welcome to the Forum!
The best place, physically and asthetically would be in the closet…
Well, sonically it’s about the worst place. The door and carpet will probably “soak up” everything above 50Hz or so. You might get away with it if you can open the door when you use the HT system. If not, you will either have to live with the way it sounds or live with a sonically-better location.

I don’t know why anyone would say Monster cables are bad. Overpriced, perhaps, but certainly not bad. They are certainly far superior to anything shipped with the components. If you haven’t opened them yet, you night look into returning the Monsters and going with Radio Shack’s Gold interconnects.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Charles L.

Agent
Jon

Compromising the sonic values for asthetic values can only go so far. The best place for the sub might be in the middle of the floor(not likely), but you're not going to put it there and walk around it all day. So you need to find a place that gives you the best balance of the two. Best place being the middle of the floor and the worst in the closet. Maybe you could submit a picture of you're lay out and let some members give you some ideas.

As for monster cable. My entire system runs it. I could do a lot better for a lot more money. I don't feel like I got shorted for the money I spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks