Sunrise Letter Campaign: Possibly save YOU up to $40.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    As you may have heard, Fox is releasing Sunrise only as part of a mail-order offer with 3 other Fox Movie Classics DVDs. Well, who wants to pay $60 to get one DVD?

Mail Fox @

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
    2121 Avenue Of The Stars, 25th Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90028

Be polite, mention that you're a fan of Sunrise or would like to see it (whichever pertains to you) and state stuff about your liking of silent cinema or classics. (or something like that)

If Fox realizes there are a lot of fans willing to pay for Sunrise as a normal DVD title, it really would benifit silent cinema in general.

Fox is such a great studio and I'd hate to see them make a mistake like this.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't see what the big deal is. You buy three movies and get a fourth free. Peter has already said that this is the only way this film would get to DVD since retaillers aren't going to order it.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

5. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Thank you for the address Patrick - my letter will go out tomorrow morning. I have also added my name to the petition linked in your sig.

And for everybody who doesn't think this is a big deal, or thinks that we're complaining over a "free" movie, please allow me to explain this from my point of view;

I want to own Sunrise, but I do not want the films needed in order to get it for "free".

Maybe someday, down the line, my DVD priorities will have me looking for those releases, but right now, I'm not. I'm a silent film fan, and Sunrise is one of the biggest titles any studio could release from that era.

I am glad that the film is getting released. I really am.

However, I am sorry to hear that the studio does not feel that anyone, or any retailer, would order it. Considering the amount of sales Kino (as an example) generates with their silent releases, I would hope they could see the potential of reaching an audience.

Perhaps having it available directly from their web site would provide the answer, and I will strongly suggest this as an alternative in my letter.

I cannot explain it any clearer than that.

Regards,
    Gary

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't understand why Patrick said (in another thread) he'd gladly pay $100 for the bare-bones DVD, but seems to be so upset because he'll have to buy $60 worth of DVD's to get it for free. Sounds like a savings of $40 to me.

If you don't want the other titles, sell them on Ebay or give them away. Christmas, birthdays, whatever.

Given all the uproar in this forum, if I were Fox, I'd put the title back in the vault and scrub the whole thing.

7. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

8. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

9. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Maddening.

I don't get it; Warner botches Wonka and Batman Beyond, we get worked up, and influence change. End result; a WS edition of Wonka is isssued, and the "original" cut of BB is available.

We wage "war" with the mainstream consumer over maintaining the integrity and foothold of OAR in the DVD sales community, and we fight for it. Educating the consumer, handing out cards in stores, lobbying studios to add information re: WS on new releases - we're all for it.

We lobby for changes about snapper cases, edge enhancement, cover art and SRP's. We get behind these arguments and try to influence change.

But when one of the biggest silent films of all times is relegated to a film that will only get pressed if it's part of a promotion, people say "What's the problem? You're getting three other titles."

That is not the point.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

If some of us are content with the promotion as it now stands, why shouldn't we dismiss your argument? If we disagree with your argument then we should be able to state so on this forum.

Crawdaddy

11. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

12. Robert Crawford

Robert

I'm responding to these discussions because I believe Fox or any other studio has the right to market their dvd product as they see fit as long as their marketing strategy gives the public a chance to own their dvds at reasonable prices that most people can afford to buy.

Crawdaddy

13. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Some of us talk about Fox not being fair in this situation, but you what? Owning your favorite movies on dvd is not a right afforded to everyone, but instead it's a privilege based on your individual economic situation. Those of us that have been collecting movies long enough know full well that this is an expensive hobby and there are certain times, when many of us have to reevaluate our purchases to fit our budgetary circumstances due to a variety of reasons.

Where else are you going to state it?

Crawdaddy

15. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Never mind. [​IMG]
    -g

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Crawdaddy

To come back to these 36 dvds that will be released next year, care to elaborate on some of them

cheers

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That was my first reaction to this whole letter writing campaign.
    Crawdaddy

18. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

19. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Okay, so the confirmed titles out of the 36 so far (according to the brief press release on 9/13) are:
    All About Eve
    Gentleman's Agreement
    How Green Was My Valley
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Viva Zapata
    Anastasia
    Love is a Many-Splendored Thing
    So out of the 7 announced titles I'm 0-7 [​IMG]
    I want Sunrise though! ARGH!
    Well, here's hoping that the other 29 titles have atleast three that I want....

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Thanks for that list
    I have none so far, yet I have a feeling that at last 3 will be mine and Sunrise ofcourse
    [​IMG]