What's new

Sunrise Earth HD-DVD set at the Discovery Channel for $24.95. Planet Earth Deal over. (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know how long this will last (until they sell out) but if you have HD-DVD and haven't already purchased the remarkable Planet Earth HD-DVD boxed set ($99.95 list) then you can get a copy here.

The HD-DVD version is listed at $79.95 but as soon as you place it in your cart and start the checkout process a $50 credit appears so the final price of this title is $29.95.

Happy shopping.

Note: This deal is over, but as of tonight (3/3/08) they have Sunrise Earth HD-DVD 4 disc boxed set for $25 with free shipping.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Doh! I bid on the HD-DVD of this over a month ago for around 50 bucks on eBay. Have yet to receive it. After numerous emails the guy said he mistakenly sent it to the wrong address and now will send it when he gets it back. Whenever that is.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
FYI this is not the same set as the retail version of Planet Earth available elsewhere. This is the American version, with Sigourney Weaver as the narrator. The retail set is the BBC version, with David Attenborough narration. Although I haven't seen it, the American version is thought to be inferior to the BBC's.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Why is that anyway, Scott? Do folks just prefer Attenborough's narration or were there other differences?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Apparently, the US version has been edited by about an hour, according to this review, in addition to the episodes being in a different sequence, a different theme song and, of course, the different narration.

I didn't even realize this was an edited version, I would have noted that in my last post if I did. I just remembered reading people preferred the BBC narration. Even more reason to stay away from the Discovery set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this IS the edited americanized version of the series.
i think the david attenborough version is also on that site as well.

dubge

Agent
Real Name
Ray
I just bought the one with Attenborough last month on ebay for $45, is there really that much missing from this one?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A couple of clarifications:

Yes, this is the American Version with Sigorney Weaver instead of Sir Richard. If you already have the BBC version then there's no need to own both (unless you need some "wild ass")

:D

There are some other differences which may or may not be a big deal to you. The most important one, I've been told, is that the American Version is 1080i (since that's what the DiscoveryHD channel broadcast it in) instead of 1080p found on the BBC version. Also, the chapters were edited down a bit on the Discovery Channel version (to allow for commercials) but I thought it was more on the order of 15 minutes or so, not an hour. That's not really a big deal in such a lengthy presentation. I don't have the American Version so I can't comment first hand. Anyone else?

In any event - still a great price at $29.95.

On another note: Those who couldn't get the $50 reduction to work, you won't see it in your cart UNTIL YOU START THE CHECKOUT PROCESS. Assuming that the offer is still on (they will run out at some point) you should see a $50 coupon applied at checkout.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Differences
It's narrated by David Attenborough instead of Sigourney Weaver.

It's listed at 550 minutes (some places report 530, but packaging lists 550) instead of the US 480 minutes.

According to several sources, it is a 1080i instead of 1080P. Hi Def Digest definitely downgraded the video quality though I think they did their review before the 1080i was discovered.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't see the discount yesterday, and I went all the way through the checkout process to the final "Click to place order" page.

Oh well. Won't be the last deal we see on the HD-DVD. :D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The discovery Channel (same link as before) is currently offering the HD-DVD version of Sunrise: Earth for $25. The list price is $60 and standard shipping is free. Same as before. The discount ($35) appears once you are well into the checkout process.

Incidentally, when I purchased this (a few minutes ago) I confirmed that the discount on Planet Earth (HD-DVD) is now history. I'll change the heading of the thread to reflect this.

Users who are viewing this thread