What's new

"SUNRISE" DVD press release from Fox! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sunrise DVD extras:

Restoration comparisons, a commentary by a noted film restoration
expert, a one hour documentary, outtakes, a brand new Four Devils
montage set to the musical score, the Four Devils screenplay, the
original thatrical trailer, and a comprehensive still gallery
Does anyone know who the "noted film restoration expert" is?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought you said there wasn't going to be a restoration and you were waiting on Brownlow to get his hands on the film elements when Fox's rights to the film expires?;)
Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I thought you said there wasn't going to be a restoration and you were waiting on Brownlow to get his hands on the film elements when Fox's rights to the film expires?
Well, a digital restoration was done by David Shepard for laserdisc in 1994. According to www.silentsmajority.com , Kevin Brownlow HAS restored Sunrise...but there still is a catch.
Brownlow has said there are no decent elements, so even a "restoration" would simply be a "best possible quality" version. This is really one of those films that need a Lowry Digital Images restoration to really turn the film back into what it used to be.
And I'm just pointing out what the extras were according to the press release...I really am tired of getting pelted for my opinions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Patrick,
If you're going to be opinionated without being shy in sharing those opinions then expect others to challenge your comments. By the way, I was just ribbing you which is why I had a wink smilie in my previous post.

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
it is great to see Patrick & Crawdaddy going for another round. Good to see that Sunrise is getting all the publicity in the mean time.
By the end of January i will have my copy.
Patrick, since I know you are going to get your copy of Sunrise as well, are you posting a review as well for all us HTFers.
:D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Patrick, since I know you are going to get your copy of Sunrise as well, are you posting a review as well for all us HTFers.
I'll be jumpstarting my review site next year with a ton of new reviews. They'll all be reviewed from a film perspective (i.e. not complaining about grain in a 16mm film :) ) and I'd like to do Sunrise as part of the series.
If you're interested in more about the site, PM me.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Very impressed, I didn't expect this to have any extras at all. Thank you Fox for giving this film the respect it deserves. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I had figured on Fox slipping out SUNRISE (1927) with barely a shrug - and I’m actually glad to have been proven wrong! I’m still not crazy about the fact that I have to tear up three other DVD covers in order to get it - but if this was the ONLY way that could have ensured Murnau’s silent masterpiece a DVD release, it will have to be accepted as a necessary sacrifice!

As for the DVD supplements, we get some really interesting stuff: though both the Documentary and the Restoration Commentary are bound to deliver the goods, I’m stunned by the inclusion of the reconstructed FOUR DEVILS (1928), Murnau’s lost circus drama, to say nothing of its complete screenplay (though I hope the latter will not be accessed solely through a DVD-ROM drive)! Being a foreigner, I couldn’t watch TCM’s recent ‘showing’ of another lost silent classic, Tod Browning’s LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT (1927), but I would think that Fox’s reconstruction will be done on similar lines.

Well, it’s certainly great that by early next year we will have a clutch of wonderful Murnau films on DVD: THE HAUNTED CASTLE (1921: to be released by Image on 03/11/03); we are already spoilt for choice when it comes to NOSFERATU (1922; personally, I recently purchased Image’s SE and will soon be getting Kino’s “German Horror Classics” Box Set!); THE LAST LAUGH (1924; from Kino, which I own); FAUST (1926; I’ve already got Kino’s R1 edition, but have been toying with the idea of purchasing Eureka’s R2 disc as well, for the inclusion of a feature-length Audio Commentary!); SUNRISE (along with what remains of FOUR DEVILS, from Fox); and TABU (1931; another SE from Image, as part of their “The Milestone Collection” series).

Last year, the British Film Institute had shown a month-long retrospective of this master’s work which I wish I could have attended, including at least another six films which have yet to surface on DVD: JOURNEY INTO THE NIGHT (1920), PHANTOM (1922), THE BURNING EARTH (1922), THE GRAND DUKE’S FINANCES (1924), TARTUFFE (1926) and CITY GIRL (1930; originally entitled OUR DAILY BREAD). Let’s hope, therefore, that these rare films will not be too far away either!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is great news. I've never seen this film, but I can't wait to get it and see what I've been missing.

I'm am totally shocked to see this disc have any extras at all. I seem to remember quite a bit of talk that there was little to no market for this film - thus the rebate style way of getting it. If this is true, why would they spend the extra time & money on producing extras. It seems a bit fishy to me, but I'm not complaining.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nothing against Lowry Digital Images...

But Sunrise is NOT a film which should go through their
process of homogenization.

Sunrise has something called grain structure.

LDI films do not have grain structure.

Films which have gone through the LDI process apparently never had grain structure and do not now need grain structure.

A lack of grain would leave Sunrise decidedly out of focus.

Not good.

Grain is our friend.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
FYI, I'd actually pass on the Kino edition of Nosferatu and wait for the Milestone Video version.

Their edition will be from Kevin Brownlow's Photoplay Productions and should feature an orchestral Carl Davis score. While Kino's edition may look great and have considerable features...the lack of effective scores (both are avant garde style scores). Other titles in the series will be Phantom of the Opera (2-disc SE with Carl Davis score and two cuts of the film) and "It" with Clara Bow.

Mr. Harris, you made a good point... I'm hoping LDI could come up with a system which would be able to keep the original grain structure... It seems like the studios they work for prefer the ultra-smooth images, but perhaps if given the 'OK, just keep the grain and lose the damage.

My main liking for the LDI system is the dirt, scratch, and scar removal. If DVDs such as North By Northwest and Singin' In The Rain were kept in the original grain "look," I'd like them just as much. Perhaps in the future, they could find a way to reduce just excess grain and keep/approximate the original grain structure.

The Wizard of Oz is nearly spotless, yet retains the grain. Obviously, the Kansas sequences are grainer due to being dupe negative material (which is a pity), but they still have a rich look.

I love how Criterion practices this process by removing the scars, but keeping the grain. Their nearly spotless transfers for Notorious and 8 1/2 look wonderful.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Patrick...while I've only witnessed your struggle to see a normal release for SUNRISE, I have to applaud you for your unrelenting efforts.

I saw no problems in your tenacity and vigorous appeals. I was disturbed to see a contingent on this board chastise you for your passion, which I never saw as acerbic or overzealous.

Although I appreciate the renewed interest in HTF by the studios, I am concerned that any earnest and significant dissenting voices will be squashed in the name of preserving the relationship - tip toe through the tulips.

I'm sure Circuit City and it's Divx partners thought of the anti-divx contingent as zeolots and malcontents too.

Anyway, simply keep your passion stoked. In order for the minority voice of the true cinephile + populist like yourself be heard above the herd, you had to sound the horn, and loudly.

Congrats on this victory, and also, thanks to Fox for loosening the reigns on what was a constrictive policy. I would have never bought Sunrise if I had to go through hoops that were in place before - both my budget is tightening along with my limited patience for mailing in UPS's and proof-of-purchases.

Now that the hurdles are cleared, I'll keep my eye out for this title. One which I've never seen, but after all this hoopla, one I'll look forward to getting relatively easily.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote (originally posted by Patrick McCart):

“FYI, I'd actually pass on the Kino edition of NOSFERATU and wait for the Milestone Video version.

Their edition will be from Kevin Brownlow's Photoplay Productions and should feature an orchestral Carl Davis score. While Kino's edition may look great and have considerable features...the lack of effective scores (both are avant garde style scores). Other titles in the series will be PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2-disc SE with Carl Davis score and two cuts of the film) and IT with Clara Bow.”

Patrick, what can you tell me about Milestone’s upcoming edition of NOSFERATU (1922) as regards to Special Features, apart from the Carl Davis score? I wish they could also borrow the James Bernard music track included on the BFI’s R2 DVD – so far, it’s not been used for any R1 disc, which is a pity!

I purchased Image’s SE of NOSFERATU more for the Audio Commentary and the other supplements than the film itself, as the Kino DVD is reported to contain additional footage and, more importantly, is better framed than the Image version. I have also acquired Image’s DVD of THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (1919), again for the extras, as Kino’s version (also included in the “German Horror Classics” Box Set) is said to be superior on all fronts!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Milestone hasn't announced anything for Nosferatu yet.

However, given how well their Phantom of the Opera DVD will be done, I'd expect similar treatment.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rain, Sunrise is still special-offer-only.
What?
Is there another Rain in this thread that I don't know about? :confused:
Well as long as I'm here, I may as well say that I am also very happy to see this disc is not going to be some half-assed "freebie." Kudos to Fox for putting the effort in. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dumb question maybe but how does FOX make back the costs of producing this DVD if it's one of those mail-in deals? Do you have to buy those 3 DVD's, send in POP's and you get the "Sunrise" disc *OR* do all that *and* pay whatever price FOX has set for the disc?

While I'm pleased that FOX would make a good effort for this DVD, I guess.....I guess I'm just surprised that said effort would be put into something that won't be made available in stores or e-tailers.

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Nosferatu from Milestone will have a music score by James Bernard. Photoplay Productions do not always use Carl Davis.

I'm really excited about the Sunrise DVD and can't wait to see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks