What's new

SunOne 2.5-Way speaker construction webpage is now up! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Howdy, I've slaved away and went through tons of photo files in order to bring you all another construction webpage that details the birth of my latest speaker project: a pair of 2.5-way speakers.
Here's the link . Let me know if any of the links don't work (I hope not, I went through all of them tonight).
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
If we just had some photos to follow...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, Patrick, thanks for another well-documented D-I-Y project and also pointing out how critically important crossover design is to the "sound" of a speaker. What exotic hardwood veneer will you use on the cabinets? BTW, Mark H has finished his mains - you guys should trade notes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hank, thanks. Mark H. has hooked me up with someone local on the basslist who's going to measure the impedance/frequency response of my tweeter and midwoofer (while in the baffle) and have Mark get a crack at a crosover design. I think I'm pretty close with my own design, still just a few more tweaks to try. I'm leaving for this dude's house in about 5 minutes.
I'm going with plain jane red oak veneer on the sides/top/bottom, and staining them a juicy reddish/orangish color, and spray painting the front baffles.
------------------

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hank,
It'll be interesting to see what kind of monstrosity I'll cook up once I get some Laud data in hand. We need to have another meet sometime in the near future so you can see/hear my MTs, my crossovers are officially scary :)
Pat,
Let me know how the measurements go, I'm dying to get a crack at these with some Laud data.
------------------
Mark Hayenga
www.hayenga.com
----------------------
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mark, check your email! I just got back from Phil's place. He's got a nice setup going on in his basement.
------------------

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, your crossovers aren't officially scary unless they weigh over a pound each, use BIG air-core heavy-gauge wire coils, polypropylene caps of outrageous cost and 1% Ohmite resistors. I'm anxious to hear your new speaks. No doubt Nils will get another Austin meet lined up soon. He has arranged an exclusive showing for interested folks at Hi Fi Inc's new demo rooms - some kind of new exotic, stratospheric ALL-TUBE electronics HT system.
Patrick, let the veneering begin! Consider a hand-rubbed Danish oil finish.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What exactly does "hand rubbed" mean? Pour the danish oil on a piece of cloth and rub in the oil by hand?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks