What's new

Sunglasses - I need some good ones (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
For the past 15 years or so, I've been wearing the same type of Vuarnet sunglasses (2 pairs of sunglasses, but exactly the same). Well, my last pair fell victim to the recent cold (in my coat pocket, leaned into the car... and snap!).

So I'm in the market for a new pair of shades. I don't do well with cheap lenses as they give me headaches. I've been casually looking for a couple of weeks (and putting up with the bright winter sun without any eye protection) and I haven't found anything that's caught my eye, no pun intended. Most everything I've seen is too small and I don't like the kind with nose pads. I prefer those that are fully formed if you know what I mean.

Any brands that people are fond of? I plan to have these for MANY years (remember I got an average of 7 years or so out of the last pairs) so the money isn't a huge issue.

I didn't find anything in the RayBan line that interested me. I saw a couple pairs of Revo's that felt OK. But since I've been out of the market for so long, I really don't know what the really good brands are.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
-Steve

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I love my Maui Jim sunglasses. They have some of the best lenses available. They protect against multiple angles of glare including bounce back from the inside of the lenses.

http://www.mauijim.com/

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Just be sure whatvere pair you get, when they are folded the ends don't rub the lens. I bought an expensive pair of D&G sunglasses and from putting them in my pocket the ends made a mark on the inside of the lens.
I also try to shy away from sunglasses that have little tiny screws holding the lenses on as these inavariably work their way out.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I really love my Serengeti shades, but am not sure if the make the fully formed like you are after. I have had my current pair for about 3 and a half years and love them.
Good luck and make sure and let us know what you get.

Brandon

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I have to second the recommendation for Maui Jim. Bought mine at Iris two years ago. Maui Jims are all polarized. this means that the glare you see from the top of the snow or on water, shining off chrome on cars, etc... will be vastly reduced. Very good quality lenses, you can get em at you local Sunglass Hut or optical store. I think Revo is the Sunglass Hut shop brand (stop me if I'm wrong) and are a little expensive for what they are. Oakley makes some cool LOOKING sunglasses, but I was not all impressed by the lenses.

The only thing I did not like about Maui Jims was the selection of styles, but I was able to find a pair that suits me well, so no trouble.

Enjoy the search!!

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I own a pair of Maui Jim's and couldn't be happier. I actually got them for free from a friend who used to manage a Sungless Hut. He had so many extra pairs of glasses that he received over the years he simply gave them to me! He also had a pair of Revo's that I really liked. Ray Ban also have many styles that I like, however, I still like Revo the best.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'll second the Serengeti recommendation. Been wearing them for 15 years or so. The clarity on them is incredible. I also have a pair of Revo I got as a gift last year. Also good, but not quite as good as the Serengetis.

John Gates

Second Unit
I like the Maui Jim's, but they are very expensive (hard to find them anywhere at a discount).

I recently bought a pair of Silhouettes, and they are outstanding!! They have one of those flex-frames (which I didn't think I'd like, but they are SO comfortable!).

The frames on these shades are made out of Titanium and weigh the same as 3 paperclips! Unbelievably comfortable.

I got mine in South America, but here's the basic style: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15736
Check them out. They look COOL! Everyone who tries them on wishes they could afford a pair. If you shop around, they aren't that expensive.

John G

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My boss is a stock car driver in his spare time, and he swears by Serengeti. He's kinda big on that whole no-glare-so-I-don't-crash thing.

I play video games in my spare time, and I like my RayBans. I normally don't wear them while gaming.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm partial to Ray-Ban. But whatever you choose, [rant]MAKE CERTAIN[/rant] they filter 100% of BOTH UVA [rant]AND[/rant] UVB. It may not be much of a problem anymore, but it wasn't too long ago that people were buy "glacier glasses" that were so dark they'd dilate the pupils and then the UVs would damage their optic nerves. [OUCH!]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks