Sunfire vs Sherbourn Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan Sloane, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Dan Sloane

Dan Sloane Extra

Hello, I am curious as to how good Sunfire amps are like the Cinema Grand and Signature. I always thought you could tell a little something about an amp by its weight, but the sunfires weigh very little compared to other amps. I am considering a Sherbourn PT7000 7/2100 combo vs Sunfire cinema Grand and the Pt7000 or Outlaw 950 or Soundstage set up but my ? is which amp and Why?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

The Soundstage preamp listed for $4000 new so if you can get a used one (they go for around $1200 now) it would be better than the other preamps you listed. The Sherbourn amp 7/2100 would be a good amp as well as the Outlaw amp. Unless you get an updated Soundstage, it will be a 5.1 preamp. You wouldn't need 7 channels of power unless you biamp main speakers or use them for a sub.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Sunfire uses a different amp technology and as a result their amps are lighter in comparison. That is not to say their amps sound weak or anything.

4. Larry.H

Larry.H Extra

how good is the sunfire amps? compared to the others in its price range how does it stack up.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Sunfire amps are pretty good and run cold. They are a killer if you like your volume cranked. They dont resolve low level details at low volumes like some of the other amps like Bryston, Rotel, B&K etc. You have to crank them up for them to sing.

6. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I have two of the Cinema Grands. I have my mains bi-amped with the remaining channels dedicated to the others. Music wise it is excellent. I can say the same thing on movies. It has balanced ins which are excellent. What I like about it too is the auto turn on feature when it senses a signal on the left main. It does run cool, light to the touch plus they look nice sitting on their respective glass bases. I've never auditioned Sherbourn but it seems from all the reviews, most of their owners are quite happy with them. Given their monoblock structure/make-up, they are quite heavy. Mis dos centavos. [​IMG]

7. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Bob Carver is one of the best and most inovative amp designer out there. His cinema and signature series received very good reviews as far as I know. Definitely a step above Outlaw.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

But, at what cost? If the Sunfire amps are 100% more in cost than the Outlaw amps and only provide 10% better sound is such a choice worthwhile?

I've seen and heard plenty of Sunfire gear. However, never heard anything by Outlaw, so I can't comment on such.