Sunfire vs Parasound amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Juan Carlos, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos Extra

I was looking for a great amp (under $1k) for my B&W Nautilus 805s that are being fed by my Marantz SR6400 for the time being. After much review and audition, I am considering a Sunfire Stereo Amp (300x2) or the Grand Cinema (200x5). Definite pros are they run cool (I have a small baby who will learn to crawl soon). The other option is Parasound's HSC line. I saw some up on audiogon like the HCA-1200II (205x2) or the HSC-1205A (140x5). I hear a lot of great things about Parasound, but they tend to run hot.

Comments from current or past owners. Thank you.

2. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Juan, I’ve never owned a Sunfire amp but I’ve heard some good things about them. I am running a Parasound HCA-2003 (200x3) for my front sound stage. In it’s price class, it provides unequalled depth and headroom for my Paradigm’s Reference Studio 60’s. It’s neutral to slightly warm sound is detailed and full of impact for music or HT. I don’t think you could go wrong with either, but I'll admit I’m biased. I’d give the nod to the Parasound.

3. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

Well I'll give the other side of the equation for all it will help. Never heard the Parasound but I bought a Sunfire Stereo Amp (300X2 @ 8ohm) to drive my demanding Thiel 3.6 speakers. Overall I'm very pleased, it has plenty of power (much better bass control compared to other budget amps I've tried) and is quite neutral. Yes I've heard a couple of amps perform better in some ares on these speakers but only at 3-4 times the cost. Unless you must have the additional channels I'd stick with the stereo version. You can pick one up used for $750-1000.

Although it runs cool my only complaint is the lack of a power switch. I ended up getting a heavy duty/high capacity remote switched plug which seems to work fine.

Sounds like you've auditioned both, perhaps you could audition them with your setup? No substitute for that...

Rich