Sunfire Ultimate Reciever.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Is this just as good as a sunfire seperates system? What are the advantages of a seperate amp and preamp? Im planning on pushing some B&W Nautilus 805'S.

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Quality Integrated amps are so good today that there really isn't much difference between that and Pre/AMP separates. Of course there will be people to disagree with me. So the best thing to do is just listen.

3. Jesse Sharrow

I dont have that one on display so I cant really listen too much? But u think that would be a really good reciever for the B&W'S?

4. Jerry M.

Jerry M. Auditioning

Went to a store that carried them the other day. They had none. They were recalled due to overheating problems (so I'm told).

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Great sound,many problems,toooo bad.

6. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Aside from the problems that others are alluding to with the Sunfire, at $4200 list, there are so many other options to consider. How about an Anthem AVM20 with the AVM7 power amp? Or a Rotel 1066, 1095, 1080 combo? There are many processors that list for around $3K or less that you could couple with a solid 200 watt 5 or 7 channel power amp for around the same $$ as the Sunfire.

Also, if you go separates, and you decide to upgrade, you only need to replace the processor. With receivers, you have to replace the whole unit again.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

8. Jesse Sharrow

Are there any other recievers that you guys would recommend?

9. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

-Rotel RSX 1055 - 1065
    -NAD T762
    -Denon 4802/5803
    -Pioneer Elite VSX 47/49TXi
    -Marantz SR 8200/9200

There are many good receivers out there, alot depends on what you're willing to spend. Most of them have all the features you'd ever need, but most are slightly weak in the amp section compared to separate amps.

10. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Flagship receivers worth auditionning:

Yamaha Z-1
    Pioneer Elite 47TX/49TXi
    Onkyo 989v2
    Denon 5803
    Integra DTR 9.1U2
    Rotel RSX-1065
    B&K has 2 excellent flagship receivers.

Have fun!

JaimeB

11. Jesse Sharrow

Well heres the thing. I get sunfire, denon, krell, yamaha, pioneer elite, and sony es on accomadation or dealer cost. So im looking for the best bang for the buck. I may be able to talk a shop into giving me "a good deal" but it wouldnt be as good of a deal as I can get all of the above for.

12. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Why didn't you say so in the first place?... money changes everything.

Of the makes you listed, Krell and Sunfire would outperform the others -- IMO... you'd need to audition - with common loudspeakers if possible - and make that assessment yourself.

As far as bang-for-the-buck goes, Sunfire would outperform Krell -- again, IMO.

As far as Sunfire production flaws go, know that all brands experience manufacturing problems periodically... nonetheless, you should research that specifically on the forums and consult with your dealer on that before jumping in.

As far as separates vs receivers go, at this level, separates offer a nice flexibility factor that can come in very handy when the upgrade bug bites... otherwise, you may not notice much difference perfromance-wise between Sunfire separates and receivers.

13. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Man if I had dealer cost on Krell, I'd go for a Showcase without even thinking twice. Especially with how low cost must be with the crazy deal they're putting on until the end of july.

14. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Out of all of those, I would also vote for Krell. Regarding Yamaha, I owned an RXV1200 for about 1.5 years. It was a good receiver but the fixed 90Hz crossover was really a drag. Also, S&V measured the RXV1200 at 47x6 all channels driven (advertised at 80x6). The flagship may be better. If you have the $$, go with the best IMO. Krell is very well respected.

15. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Not sure how your accommodate program works but I heard that Krell is offering a full value trade-in if you have an old surround sound receiver to offer towards a brand new Krell. The discount is supposedly directly from Krell, not the dealer.