What's new

Sunfire True Sub Signature or SVS 16-46CS+ (1 Viewer)

Michael J. C.

Auditioning
For whatever reasons, I've narrowed it down to one of these two subs.

I've listened to the Sunfire True Sub Signature, but haven't had the pleasure of auditioning any SVS sub... ever.

Could anyone try and describe the audible difference I could expect.

I'm leaning toward the Sunfire ONLY because of size. That SVS is a monster.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Mike

My HT info:
Denon 3802
Dynaudio Audience 62's(fr) 120c(center) 42's(sr)
9 foot ceilings. 16' x 26' room. Lots of wood.

Randy G

Second Unit
If you can handle 1" bigger all around, I'd go for the Velodyne HGS-12(~$1200 on Ebay). It'll play with less distortion than either of your choices, but not as loud...totally depends upon how loud you like to listen and HOW important size is to you. Personally, I wouldn't go with the Sunfire because I'll be using an 80hz crossover. If I didn't care about size, I'd go with the 25-31 PC+ because I think it's probably the best value on the market today, and you can fine tune it to your preferences. Also, I live in a condo, so it'd be overkill for either one.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Randy G says: "It'll play with less distortion than either of your choices,"

Where are you getting these distortion figures from and can you please give us some numbers and their source to substantiate your statement?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Randy:
I think that in terms of extension an SV 20-39 would be closer to the Sunfire than the SV 16-46. Even though you do not mention what Sunfire model you are considering I assumed you are looking at the Signature. Point being the 20-39 is 7 inches shorter than the 16-46.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
mike,

if you are in the Chicago/Milwaukee area I can give you a demo of a SVS 16-46cs+.

I have never heard a Sunfire, but the SVS is one hell of a sub for it's price.

Ted

Randy G

Second Unit
John,

Although low distortion numbers are but one factor in making a sub choice(and some folks PREFER higher distortion subs for their BOOM effects), since you've asked, I'll just quote Audio Magazine's (Jun '98)Don Keele in his review of the HGS-12:

"At the highest output levels, the distortion is less than 3% at all the tested frequencies. It reaches just 2.7% at 16hz at the highest SPL before cutoff and only 1.7% at 32hz. The second and third harmonics predominated at most frequencies and levels. The only subwoofer I've tested whose distortion was lower than the HGS-12's was Velodyne's own F-1500."

Also, in a later paragraph comparing the HGS-12 to the Sunfire True(NOT the Sig):

"On a broad selection of recordings containing deep bass, the two subwoofers sounded quite similar at moderate levels. Only at levels loud enough to activate the subs' limiters did differences become evident. In general, the Velodyne could play slightly louder, and often cleaner, than the Sunfire. The cleanliness of the Velodyne's output was most evident on music containing high-level bass that wasn't masked by information at higher frequencies, such as solo bass guitar or organ pedal notes sounded alone."

Now, I haven't read any distortion figures for SVS subs, but if Ron and Tom say they're as good as the servo Velodynes, I'll take their word for it. Now if ya wanna debate the benefits/deficits of servos.....that's another story. I merely mentioned the Velo as a small size alternative.

Michael J. C.

Auditioning
Ted,
I lived in Milwaukee up until 27 years ago... Now I'm in Los Angeles... Just missed you! ;)
I keep leaning back and forth on this whole sub purchase thing. I used to have two 12" Rockford Phosgate Subs in my back seat... (small car, long time ago :) )
I haven't had any bass since. I don't want to get it wrong... Leaning back toward the SVS...
----
Maybe a box sub a little larger footprint might be a good compromise (or not even a compromise) if I choose to go with a larger footprint instead of a tube or smaller compact sub. I probably could go up to 25" on all sides.
The SVS 20-39PC-plus doesn't come out for a while, so I guess I have time to compare more subs.
I probably get something tomorrow. :angry:

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad Mike (that your not in Milwaukee anymore), I could have given you a good deal on my 16-46cs+.

As far as getting a sub, it's about the best thing I have done for my home theater system.

I started to get interested in subs reading this board so I took the plunge and pre-ordered a 16-46cs+ from SVS. I needed an amp and found a Sampson S1000 on ebay and got a pretty good deal on it.

Boy what a difference this made to my setup. I would classify the change of adding a "good" subwoofer to my system like going from black and white TV to color. Even with the fact my mains are Infinity SM155's (15' woofers) powered by a Carver TMF35 (250 watts/channel). I finally hear all the low end I was missing.

I BECAME A SUB-HUMAN

I love action movies so now I was in heaven. But wait, while watching Pearl Harbor when the Arizona blows up (at reference level) the sub bottomed. DAM! This won't due!

After a little research my options were 1) add a second 16-46cs+ or 2) build a monster sub. You see, I wasn't satisfied with shaking the pictures on the walls, I wanted to knock them off.

So I opted for #2. First thing was the amp. The Sampson, as good as it is, can not be bridged so it had to go. I picked up a QVS, the 2000 watt model, but did not like the fan noise so I traded it back to the guy I got it from for a Crown CE2000. Great amp, good balance of power to fan noise and no independence problems with my system, also made in the USA. Well anyway I put this in my system and guess what. The SVS sounded better, I turned down the gain controls so I would not over drive the sub and what I got in return was a cleaner signal into the sub. The amp never clipped and the overall sound from the sub was improved.

Was I satisfied, NO, but I should have been. I then built a Sonosub using a Blueprint 1503 (monster driver). Let me tell you, I think my neighbors enjoy my sub as much as I do. This setup is the extreme, more sub than anyone would ever need, reference level or beyond. That's why I have an SVS that I am not using, I think it will make a great Christmas gift.

This whole ordeal spanned about a year and here's what I have learned.

SVS builds and sells a GREAT subwoofer, you won't go wrong getting one of these.
I like the separate sub/amp choice, it gives me flexibility.
I like an amp with plenty of reserve power to limit the clipping and distortion.
Building your own sub is time consuming but satisfying.

Last but not least, if you don't have a subwoofer, you don't have a home theater, all you have is a TV hooked up to a stereo.

Just my humble opinion
Ted

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The Sunfire puts out an impressive sounding bass that's nice, tight and punchy, and would be great in a small to mid-sized room, but I suspect it wouldn't sound so great in a large room. From what I've heard, if you can tolerate a larger size, go for the Earthquake Supernova MK-12

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks