Sunfire Theater Grand III Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian Henchey, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Brian Henchey

I understand that the Sunfire TGIII is not an THX Ultra2 pre-pro, but does it provide capability for creating a 7.1 mix off of a 5.1 DVD (similar to the THX Ultra2 Cinema mode or the Cirrus Extra Surroud on other pre-preos)?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

I don't believe it can create a 7.1 mix from a 5.1 source. I used a TGIII for about 2 months and didn't find anything about it being able to that. It's still a great unit though.

SV

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

We used one all weekend at the AV123 product showcase in Dallas. It definitely makes 7.1 from 5.1. What was odd about it was that it did so even on things that weren't flagged as DD EX or DTS-ES and there seemed to be no way to disable it. FYI most recievers and pre-pros can decode DD EX even if they are not THX EX certified.

4. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

Seth_L,

Hey cool, another Seth on this forum. I don't think Brian was refering to EX or ES material, I think he just wanted to know if the TGIII had a mode similar to THX Ultra 2 Cinema(not THX EX), that would give 7.1 channels from regular 5.1 DVD's. Kind of the way PLII gives 5.1 from 2.0 sources.

5. Brian Henchey

Seth_L,
    LOL--this is the Sunfire unit from the AV123 show!

Brian

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Heh, I didn't make the connection when I was doing some late night posting.

Every 5.1 (DD5.1/DTS) DVD we fed into the thing put sound out through all 7 speakers. I'm not sure exactly what method it was using to do it, but it was making 7.1 from 5.1.

7. Brian Henchey

OK, after exploring the unit last night, it turns out that hitting the "Mode" button (either on the remote or on the front panel) toggles between a 5.1 input/5.1 output and a 5.1 input/7.1 output mode in both DD and DTS. I believe (but cannot tell for sure) that the "forced" 7.1 is just matrix decoding of the applicable format (v. a mode designed to enhance 5.1 (e.g., THX Ultra 2, Cirrus Extra Surround).

That being said, could anyone provide any calibration assistance using the speaker calibration settings menu?

1. The volume levels of the internal test tones does not seem to be connected to any volume setting. In addition, should these be calibrated to 75db or 85db?

2. The subwoofer test tone (with 2 subs connected to Sub1 and Sub2 outputs) generates normal levels, but the bass disappears in the playback of DD 5.1 DVD's with a Denon 2900 (using optical out). Using the Avia subwoofer level tests--looks to be at least 10db's lower.

Thanks for the help,
    Brian

8. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Brian,

We connected both subs to the sub1 output in Dallas (I think).

Seth

9. Brian Henchey

According to the manual, all 3 sub outs output the same signal.

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Oh, no idea then. Check the phase on your subs?

11. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

The lack of bass that you mention with DD 5.1 was the same problem I had with the first TGIII that I owned. Bass output during the test tones was fine, but as soon as I played back a 5.1 source(in my case DD and DTS), there was very weak bass output.

I just got a brand new TGIII yesterday and bass output with DD and DTS is spot on. So in my case I had a faulty TGIII (it happens). Even more expensive controllers can be faulty from the factory, I owned an Integra Research RDC-7 ($4,500) and I had a variety of problems with it. I returned it and got myself another TGIII(because it sounds so darned good).

Are you home auditioning the TGIII? Have you called Sunfire regarding this? You might want to ask your dealer if he can swap it out for another one and see how that one does (if he has another in stock). Don't let the lack of bass issue scare you off, as once you get that resolved it is a pleasure to use and more importantly listen to. I have listened to a lot of different products and the one that I liked the best for under $5,000 was the TGIII.

Good luck,

SV

12. Brian Henchey

I will put a call into Sunfire to confirm what the proper subwoofer tone should be. Currently, the internal subwoofer tone is 10db less than the Avia subwoofer level.

Seth_L, you guys had to up the sub output by 10db's in Dallas for DTS/DD, right?