What's new

Sunfire Theater Grand III and bass management (1 Viewer)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I've been trying to find some info regarding bass management options with the Sunfire Theater Grand III but can't seem to find any. Does anybody know what sort of bass management this unit employs?

Regards,
geo

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this Marchland box from SVS and love it. I will need a preamp later for the phase out feature and it hums very slightly
(if there is no sound and I mean not even silent sound. I'm about 15 feet away form a pair of 15 " Kicker subs each runing off thier own Marantz MA500 Mono Block Amp)
but it sure helps. My LFE is very clean now and it fills the room in a big way.
I only turn mine up a third of the way because I want it to sound true to life. You can feel the explosions and I swear I felt a chopper go by earlier watching ( for the first long awaited time) We Were Soldiers.
I just got the box earlier yesterday. Every result would vary depending on the room and subs of coarse.
If you want you can see the way my room looks currently.
Warning: Popup add
Steve's September 05, 2002 Setup

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
So if you can't find one on your reciever try the above mabie if you want.

I'm gonna get an SVS sub someday.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Geo,

It has a global crossover for all speakers defined as small, with choices from 40-120Hz (20 Hz increments) if memory serves me correctly.

Regards,

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info John.
I'm sure "global" bass management is sufficent in most cases but it's kind of annoying how many manufactures still employ global crossover setting for bass management. Especially when more comprehensive crossover setting are available from mid-priced receivers and much less expensive pre/pros like the Outlaw 950. Years ago my Sony TAE9000ES had some of the most comprehensive bass management going. Now some 4-5 years later, one would think global bass management would be a lesser feature found only on cheap receivers. Even if global bass management is sufficent for my system I prefer to have the option, and the fun, of setting individual crossovers for my mains, center and surrounds, etc... I just have a hard time going backwards sometimes...............

BTW, what's with the first two replies to this thread.

Regards,

geo

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
John,

"It has a global crossover for all speakers defined as small, with choices from 40-120Hz (20 Hz increments) if memory serves me correctly."

I find this rather strange that Sunfire would configure the TGIII this way. If I understand correctly, the TGIII has the same DSP chipset (Motorola 56367) as the upgraded Anthem AVM-20. The AVM-20, with the recently released software upgrade, allows for separate crossovers from 25-160Hz (5 Hz increments).

Does this Motorola processor allow for different options and configurations, and Sunfire just chose to stick with a global crossover? I mostly trying to understand the interaction between an audio company (Sunfire, Anthem, B&K, etc.) and the manufacturers of the processing chipsets (i.e. Motorola).

Michael

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Add the Aragon Stage One as another unit with the Motorola 56367 chipset and a global crossover for all speakers defined as small. I think the configuration is up to the manufacturer. I spoke with the designer and coder for the Aragon Stage One and then later spoke with a tech at Sonic Frontiers about their upgrade (before the announcement) and have concluded that each manufacturer does their own coding. Anthem allowed separate crossovers per group of speakers whereas Aragon allowed a separate speaker configuration and bass management setting (crossover) for surround and stero listening modes. There is only so much room for code and each manufacturer decides what features are most important to them.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Michael,
"Anthem allowed separate crossovers per group of speakers whereas Aragon allowed a separate speaker configuration and bass management setting (crossover) for surround and stero listening modes."
The Bryston SP1.7, which also has the Motorola 56367, has a similar speaker/bass management, global crossover setup as the Aragon, except that the SP1.7 allows it to be different by input source instead of listening mode. Let's see now, separate speaker crossovers, configurable by input source and listening mode. Too much? :)
"There is only so much room for code and each manufacturer decides what features are most important to them."
This is somewhat annoying, considering that all of the prepros we have mentioned with the "new" Motorola 56367 chipset already have limited software space for future changes.
Michael

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Meridian has had independent capability for a number of years for speakers and various decoding modes.

Meridian is one of the very few companies that hand codes all their DSP algorithms.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
All,

Having customizable crossovers per speaker grouping isn't all its cracked up to be.

It introduces the possibility of dealing with more room interactions as the number of transducers producing frequencies in the most problematic range (100Hz and below) increases.

Something to ponder.

Regards,

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry off topic. Just tiddying things up.

I just got this Marchland box from SVS and love it. I will need a preamp later for the phase out feature and it hums very slightly
I discoverd the unit to be deffective when it started sputtering and hissing at me later. They agree to trade or refund it. I decided to get a SVS sub instead and forget the tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.