Sunfire or SVS? I think I want to adition these.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well first of all I appologize about me talking about the whole price thing. I get a good deal and I guess I didnt realize it may offend some people. But on that note, if anyone is ever in colorado springs, and stops by the north soundtrack on academy i will give you a great deal.

But on to my point. I listened to all the subs in my store and the only sub I liked was the sunfire true sub signature. Now I am also interested in SVS. But because I get such a good discount on sunfire I could only go with a low end SVS like the PB-1ISD. Now do you think it is still worth it? I may be able to swing the PB1 Plus. But do you still think its a better woofer? I loved the sound of the sunfire. It fills the room very well and is very clean and accurate. But Im still not sure what to go with.

Im going to see if anyone in colorado springs could give me a listen to the SVS and that will be my deciding factor. But if I cant get a listen do you still think its worth it? Thanks for the input.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Jesse Sharrow

Thank you very much. That should be helpful. I am going to print it out and go read it right now.

4. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried audioenvy.com to look for someone close to you.

In my opinion though if the sunfire is doing everything you want it to do, I would go with it.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I stated that the SVS would be my choice in the other thread but Sunfire is no sloutch either when it comes to subs. I think its over priced but if you could get a decent discount it may be worth it. Again call Ron at SVS and tell him what you can get the sunfire for. He might just tell you to go ahead and get it. He's just that kind of an honest guy.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Are we STILL comparing these two subs?

[​IMG]

LOL, I've heard the sunfires, and they ain't that great...

My take is always this: a poor peice of equipment that's on sale, or on employee discount, or whatever, is still a poor performer. The fact that you can get 10% off an SVS blows my mind. Full price is such an insane bargain it's not even funny.

Get something like a PCi, or a PC+, you won't regret it.

SVS also has a trial period, all you're out is shipping, and you can try it at home all you want. And seeing how you are in the same town as one of the co-founders of SVS, you could most likely get a demo without having to buy one.

AFter watching these threads passively, I just had to give my .02

The sunfires are boomy and annoyingly unclean. [​IMG]

7. Jesse Sharrow

Well I think I need to email him and ask. Maybe Ill do that today.

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Well I have never heard a sunfire except in a store and it sounded ok to me.. Alot better than most that they had there but I totally agree that there is no comparison to the SVS. My point was if he could get the sunfire for next to nothing it may be the way for him to go until he can afford the SVS he really wants.....

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You are right mike, the upgrade idea is a good one.

10. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Jesse, you asked this question last time. Honestly why don't you just audition the SVS (insert model # here) in your home for 45 days and find out for yourself? Worst case scenario you are out a few bucks on shipping.

Just because a particular sub sounds good in a certain showroom/persons home doesn't mean you'll achieve the same results.

11. Jesse Sharrow

A few bucks for shipping? I dont think so. If you count shipping out and back thats $200!!!!!! Thats not worth it!

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jesse considering you're in Col. and live very close to one of the DIY gods ThomasW (denver) and Adire is in your backyard have you given any thought to building your own sub? For what you'd pay for the sunfire even with your discount you could easily outgun it with a DIY.

13. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

If I'm not mistaken even if you could go to Ron's (I think he is the on there) he has the B4 (that is what he told me when I ordered mine) and that just wouldn't be a fair audition comparison no matter what.

Dave

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I disagree, especially when you consider that it seems that this is not a competition for a small sub but a better sub and if that is the case there won't be a returned shipping experience. The way I look at it, as most likely most of us here as well, that $200 is much cheaper than the loss on depreciation of the value of almost all decent home audio gear to make certain one's peace of mind.

15. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

Is shipping really that much now? It wasn't anything near that when I ordered my 16-46PC+ a year ago.

Also, you haven't mentioned if you contacted SVS yet. Like other's have said, I STRONGLY recommend you do so. You will get an honest answer from them, not a sales job!

I remember Tom V. from SVS answering one of your posts and offering to help you with setup issues no matter which brand you decided on. Try getting that kind of service from another brand! (Hello? Sony? Yeah, I just bought a Parasound sub. Can you help me with setup questions?......YEAH RIGHT[​IMG] )

JimmyK

16. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

There is another reason why that conversation wouldn't happen! [​IMG]

17. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

IIRC...shipping was about $27 for my 20-39 PCi to my area of KY...

18. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

Ooops!:b

I was actually thinking of Paradigm, but it came out wrong.

Anyway, you know what I meant![​IMG]

JimmyK

19. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Shipping is not that expensive unless you are getting the B4 or something...

Shipping the PC+ 20-39 is only 17.95...though I'm only right across the boarder from Ohio. [​IMG]