Sunfire no good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by myke, Apr 8, 2002.

1. myke

myke Extra

Why is it that with all the various pre/pros mentioned, there's almost no talk about the Sunfire TG I/II/III ? Are these pre/pros no good, or does nobody have them?
    I see lots of talk about the Outlaw 950, B&K ref 30, Anthem AVM-20, etc, but nothing on the TG I/II (or the upcoming III). It seems to be in the same price range as the B&K and the Anthem, so does it suck?
    Anybody have anything to say about it at all? [​IMG] Thanks

2. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Myke I dont think Sunfire sucks . After all the

desiner is the great Bob Carver himself and I have

read some good reviews about the amps .

I am far from being an expert so dont put

too much weight on my opinion.

Robert

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Sunfire equipment is well designed and built. I have a Cinema Grand amp and I love it.

They don't seem to have as large of dealer network as some of the other brands mentioned, so alot of folks probably haven't been able to demo them.

I was all set to get the Outlaw 950, but I'm gonna wait and check out the Theater Grand III first, since I can get it for not much more. I saw the announcement, but I haven't seen any specifics on features.

DJ

4. Will

Will Guest

5. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I currently have the Sunfire Theater Grand II in my system as a loaner. It is quite good for DD, DTS, PL, but does not seem to be as good for 2 channel. The upper end on CDs seems grainy, and the soundstage although fairly large, seems two dimensional. I also don't like the display, as it only has one line in large letters, and does not provide a lot of info.

The TG III is set to come out this month, some reviewers already have them. It will have PL II, the 7 channel modes (EX, ES etc), and also supposedly better in 2 channel also. Initial responses from the reviewers have been positive, but this is second-hand info, and there have been no reviews published yet.

Sunfire is somewhat controversial on this forum, with some expressing disbelief that the amplifier design could be very good, as well as complaining about perceived cheap build quality. I have found Sunfire amps to be smooth and quite reliable, one of my friends has had one in his system for two years, and because of the auto on feature, has never turned it off. The amps also do very well in reviews, and I have yet to see a reviewer that was not impressed with them.

One of the big reasons why you are seeing delays in new pre-pros coming out is the slow delivery of the latest Motorola chips that implement the latest DSP such as PLII and the 7 channel modes. The Anthem came out with them, and needs to be upgraded.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I get a dealer accomodation, Will, so the Theater Grand III won't cost me much more than the Outlaw.

All I have heard is of its impending release, but no features or specs. I called Sunfire last month but they didn't return my call. The II is a nice sounding unit, but, of course, is a bit dated as far as surround formats go. It'll be interesting to see how the III turns out.

It should be released in another few months, so specifics should start circulating soon.

7. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Actually when I started a thread about which amp forum members would recommend to power my B&W Nautilus speakers I was directed away from the Sunfire by most even though it was one of the ones I was originally considering. It seems that you are correct David in your statement that people cannot see how a 40 lb amp could be any good.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I must have missed that one.

I can understand someones trepidation if they have never auditioned it. When folks think PWM, they think of older designs with higher distortion and it might seem like a risky proposition.

Being on the market for seven years or so and being heavily scrutinized, I think it has stood the test of time, although it might not be the best amp for someone who can afford something 5k and up. IMO, though it compares favorably with amps in its price range.

Which amp did you end up going with?

DJ

9. Will

Will Guest

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Hey Will, have you tried running a 4 ohm load? We have at work up to 12 hours at a time and the Cinema Grand handles it with no problem. It's 2 ohms that is time limited, but I've never tried it.

I agree about the auto sensing. I learned very quickly to just leave it on.

DJ

11. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I have used a Sunfire Theater Grand quite extensively and was very pleased with the sound. It was powered with Sunfire Cinema grand amps and it was powerful and very accurate. We had them hooked up to Monitor Gold and Silver Speakers. The one problem I had was with quality control. The processor's video switching crapped out on me on two units. One of the lights on the amp's meters also went out. I am not sure if these are isolated incidents, but I was the only one in the room when they happened to me[​IMG] .

12. Will

Will Guest

13. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

David,

I ended up buying a demo Classe CAV-150. Great amp, very smooth sound. I can still get a Sunfire new if I feel like it, and I am getting one for my friend's system.

Will,

That info is available on audiorevolution.com. They have a little press release on the TG III.

14. Will

Will Guest

Thanks ManojM,

According to audiorevolution.com, the Theater Grand III MSRP is $3,495 and the first units will be out according to the press kit in Spring 2002 which is I suppose, around now...

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Will,
    I work at an A/V store and we have the Sunfire combo set-up in one of our higher end rooms playing a DVD all day long.
    Manoj,
    That's a very nice amp you have.
    John,
    That's some fuzzy math you have going on there.[​IMG] Of course, I can't say what I can get it for, but Sunfire is very generous and it only makes sense from their perspective. It is human nature to be more excited about something you own and are very familiar with.
    DJ

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Merc:

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest