What's new

Sunfire MKII Subwoofer and the rest... (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone has good info on this subwoofer? I read good reviews, but I will have to put alot of money (U$1200) and it is kind of old (1997). I could buy the Energy MS 12.1 or the Kliptsch KSW-15 for the same price. Or the Velodyne CHT-12, JBL S120PII or the Infinity IL120 for much less. What is the one to go with?

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
My room is about 20 feet x 30 feet. I want to listen to electronic music mainly, pretty loud. And I want detailed, fast and loud BASS...

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Wow, big room with some hearty expectations. My guess is the Sunfire would let you down. Three suggestions to do better AND save money;

Brian Bunge @ Link Removed , Kyle Richardson @ Acoustic Visions to have something custom built or grab an SVS PB2+. Unless, of course, you have the choice of building your own.

- Dan Hine

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Is that a big room? But it is my bedroom...hmm, I measured it in feet, maybe in meters it will be more precise: 4m x 4m. The Sunfire won't cover that? I live in Brazil, and my options are narrowed to those subs I listed.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
You don't think 20x30 is big? And it's your bedroom! Holy Cow! Meters? Nah, I'm an American, I don't do metric. ;) Anyhow, if those are the only options available to you then I'm afraid I can't help. I stoped keeping up with typical commercial offerings a long time ago. Though I do know that Velodyne has a good reputation and I think maybe the Klipsch line did ok in a review a year or so ago...

- Dan

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Could you do multiples of the JBL 120? If so, 2 would be nice. One would outgun the rest of the options regardless I would guess.

Tom V.
SVS

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm not used to feet measurement, but I know you americans are... Anyway, it would be 13ft x 13ft aproximately. Some guy told me the Energy 12.1 is a good bang for the buck option. I could always pair with the Dynaudio 20a as well ( I use LR120+ speakers), but I read a review once where the guy stated that for the money, one could get better subs.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
If Tom Vodhanel's opinion is that the JBL would outgun the rest, I would go with that. Since your room is only 13'x13', you could probably get away with one.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
My choice would be to go with dual Infinity IL120's. I've measured strong output down to 25hz in a room of similar dimensions(14x13) without corner loading. Their build quality is good and they look pretty sharp IMO. They also have a built in one band parametric eq, so with dual subs you'll have two bands to play with. I've found their eq's to work very well and make a signficant improvement in perceived sound quality. Based on my personal experiences and I think JBL's S120 better compares to Infinity's smaller IL100s. If you also take a look at independent tests from Tom Nousaine you'll see the IL100 spanked the JBL S120 down low and came within 1dB of it's 25-63hz averaged output using a 10% THD limit. The IL120 has double the amplifier power, a larger 12" driver, bigger port, and a bigger cabinet than the IL100 so this means the IL120 will be a better performer.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
The sales people say that the Infinity and JBLs do not compare to the Dynaudio or the Energy subs. This considering a high-end music sound system. I am thinking alot about this, if a Velodyne or Infinity would handle the job or not, since they are very much cheaper...

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Another possible option is the Kef TDM 45B, it is kind of cheap here too. What do you think about this one?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've got a MkII in my HT and it's GREAT!! My room is approx. 12w x 19l x 8h and am never lacking in the low frequency area. $1200 for a MkII seems a little steep, I bought a store demo with the full 5 year warranty for under $800. Get it and don't look back!!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm also a big booster of Sunfire subs. I used a Sunfire True Sub in my Ht for three years. Completely satisfied. Never had a problem and never wanted for deep bass. Sunfires are a bit on the ugly side, however, so I went with Velodyne HGS when I moved the HT into my fancier living room. If you get the Sunfire, tuck it in a corner somewhere so you don't have to look at it.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I used to own an Energy microstar and while it plays with low distortion it just didn't do it for me under 30hz. It practically brick walled below 25hz. add to the fact that you could here the servo circuit at low volumes I opted to build my own and never looked back.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the imput...

Marcelo, I'll definately import a sub thru Champion Cargo. It is alot cheaper than here in Brazil, right?

The question now is, is a SVS the BEST option under U$1000,00 or one could do better with a B&W or JMLab unit?

Basically, what is the best in that price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks