What's new

Sunfire MKII or Paradigm Servo 15? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have the opportunity to trade my Sunfire True Sub MKII straight even for a Paradigm Servo 15 and I would like some opinions.
I have Studio 40 mains, a Studio CC, mini-monitor rears, and a Yamaha RX-V800. I also have 4-channels of a Carver AV-505 bi-amping my 40’s.
My Sunfire blends in very well for HT and it sounds awesome, but when I listen to 2-channel music, I prefer my sub off, and just use the 40’s set to large. While this sounds great, I just wonder what I’m missing in adding a more musical sub.
I have listened to the Servo 15, but not side by side with my sunfire. Does the Servo have as much low end deep stuff for HT like my Sunfire? It has to be better than the Sunfire for music, right?
Anyway, with space being a non-factor, which of these subs should fit me better? Thanks! David

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Go for the Paradigm. Simple reason: it's servo controlled which means lower distortion. (Although some people don't like servo controlled subs for other reasons. Me? I just don't like distortion.)
The Paradigm also uses a 15 inch cone. I think the Sunfire's is smaller. So you might even get better bass response with the Paradigm as well.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Could you try a *trial* exchange for a weekend?
I'm guessing the servo15 would sound better too...definitely cleaner in the first octave. the mkII is good woofin for it's size though.where do you have the cube Lowpassed right now?
TV

David Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sunfire crossed over at about 50hz right now. I wouldn't mind going a little higher, but it just doesn't sound as good with this sub.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
a weekend, side-by-side trial is the only thing that would really let you make an "educated" decision. i do think the Servo will sound better, but that's only because it'll blend and match better with the other Paradigms.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Randy G

Second Unit
Somewhat of an anomoly here...
I'd assume that you bought the Sunfire for its small size, right?
Well, if you've now decided that you can tolerate a bigger woof, then I'd certainly trade it for the Servo. To ME, that would be a no brainer....unless you were just looking for less distortion above 50hz...in which case I'd go with a Velodyne HGS-10. If you're interested, I've got 2 HGS-10s that are 3-4 months old that are in mint condition which I'd be willing to sell for $925 apiece. I've decided to with a bigger sub.
[email protected]
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread