1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sundowners, Nun's Story, Romeo and Juliet: Warner Archive

Discussion in 'DVD' started by battlebeast, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Steven Ward

Steven Ward Auditioning

Steven
    The Marlon Brando at UNIVERSAL collection is, of course, INCOMPLETE without the 1964 comedy BEDTIME STORY, which has never had a proper studio release on DVD, period. ( It was remade as DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS). Another unreleased UNIVERSAL picture ''ISTANBUL''(1957), is, I believe, the ONLY Errol Flynn title that has NOT been made available on DVD , to date. Since FLYNN made only two at UNIVERSAL, (the other AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1952) -- released long ago, go figure: why not issue them both as a double feature?. Plus facto it's in TECHNICOLOR and SCOPE--FLYNN only made 5 in wide-screen, plus, ISTANBUL was FLYNN'S real ''COMEBACK " film to HOLLYWOOD-(not THE SUN ALSO RISES--which was made later). And as for a logical reason for a go at release or a no-go for a release by UNIVERSAL --I don't believe there IS one, excepting perhaps maybe a film-rights problem or something else ; or maybe the folks selecting titles for home video release just don't know their stuff! Oh well, our world will keep on turning regardless; even if they CAN'T provide answers to such irate questions asked like the ones I have asked here. But isn't it all DAMNED IRRATATING anyway??!!!

davidmatychuk likes this.
  2. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    Now that's the spirit!

3. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    I absolutely adore this version of Romeo and Juliet. Sorry, but Time Magazine hailed it as a masterpiece, saying "Irving Thalberg does everything but call out Shakespeare from his grave". Yes, the stars are 'too old' but they are accomplished actors, and that carries more weight generally. The production values are superb and the direction is peerless. It's the glamour of the gala that puts this one over the top, the fantastical ballroom where Shearer first meets Howard - mesmerized by the song 'Blessings of You', and the moodily lit garden for the balcony scene - a Cedric Gibbon's tour de force, considering its all shot indoors on a sound stage. Sparing no expense, MGM really put on a show. You have to be willing to suspend disbelief in such a 'perfectly created' world - not one you go out and find, but one purely manufactured for the art and artifice of the movies. It works spectacularly well and Shearer (again, despite her age) is marvelous. I sincerely wish WAC would do a Blu-ray of this movie and her Marie Antoinette (1938), also, The Divorcee. Shearer, like Clark Gable, has been woefully neglected in the HD world.