What's new

Sundance! (1 Viewer)

Shanon

Auditioning
Is anyone going to Sundance? It’s definitely my favorite film festival – it just seems so much less pretentious than, say, the one in Cannes… Which films are you guys looking forward to the most?

for those of you that are interested, I just found this site that gives you alerts about what’s going on out there in Utah: let me know if you want the url.

...and in case you're interested as well in my favorite movies they're: the Karate Kid, Rushmore, and Donnie Darko

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Hi Shanon. Let me be the first to welcome you to HTF.

I wish I were going to Sundance.

Your favorite movies are some of mine, too.

~T

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome Shanon.

Scott Weinberg, an online critic and frequent contributor to HTF, is there right now. I expect that we will get some reports from him.

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Sundance right now and have seen 16 films so far. The ones I loved were:

The Matador - Pierce Brosnan gives his best performance to date

212 - One of the BEST romantic comedies ever (On par with Before Sunrise and Eternal Sunshine)

Pretty Persuasion - This non-PC teen comedy doesn't shy away from anything. The funniest movie I've seen so far.

Hustle and Flow - This will definitely be the big break-out hit this year. Expect 100mil+ box office.

Brick - It's Dashiel Hammett set in a high school. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character channels a teenage Humphrey Bogart. This movie creates a new genre: teen noir.

The Jacket - For those who love loopy time travel movies with plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.

The Upside of Anger - One of Kevin Costner's better movies lately.

Kung Fu Hustle - Pure FUN. The kind you used to have when you were a kid.

Drum - Taye Diggs performance will amaze you.

Saving Face - A Chinese "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I can see this taking off like that film did.

Then there have been a few dissapointments like:

Lonesome Jim - like Steve Buscemi's previous work, it's slow, plodding, and contains sad sack characters we wouldn't want to spent five minutes on a bus with, let alone 90 minutes.

Dirty Love - although considering Jenny McCarthy wrote it and her husband directed it, I don't know how anyone can be dissapointed. Fans of tasteless low-brow humor will enjoy it though. A female Freddy Got Fingered.

Junebug - despite a great performance by Amy Adams, this Southern slice of life is so slow, it's hard not to drift in and out of sleep. After a while I thought to myself, If there is another 5 minute scene where a character just breaks down and cries, I'm going to slit my wrists.

Thumbsucker - This one's not so bad, and I liked it when I saw it, but then I saw Pretty Persuasion right afterwards and realized how funny a true comedy can be.

Game 6 - Despite great performances by Michael Keaton and Robert Downey Jr, the screenplay (by Don DeLillo) borders on absurd, especially in the Third Act.

Duane Hopwood - Nothing wrong with it and David Schwimmer is actually pretty good, but this story about an alcholic who loses his family and his job because of his drinking is one we've seen over and over and over again. Predictable and relies on cliches. On the other hand, show this on lifetime and it'll be Lifetime's best movie ever.

David

Shanon

Auditioning
thanks for the welcome!

i've heard a lot about "hustle and flow." there was an article about all the buzz it's been getting in the new york times recently... but thanks for all the summaries david! i really appreciate it - and have fun at sundance!

p.s. did anyone check out that site? it seems like a pretty cool idea to me...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I just got back from there last night. A movie and celebritie lovers dream.
I saw 4 films there. Happy Endings with Lisa Kudrow. Dear Wendy with Jamie Bell of Billie Elliott, The Jacket, with Adrian Brody and The Dying Gaul with Peter Saarsgard.
Happy Endings was the film I was most looking forward to but was disappointed. It was trying to be a Magnolia type movie but there were just too many characters and most were not even likable. Good performances, ok movie.
Dear Wendy was a film about young adults growing up in a small town and how a group of them bond by joining a secret club with appreciation of guns. Interesting film and took a left turn I didnt see coming. There was a Q and A after the film with some of the stars, including Bell which was fun.
The two last movies I saw were my favorites. First, the Jacket, mentioned earlier in the thread. Really enjoyable flick. Sorta The Butterfly Effect mixed with Somewhere in Time. Brody is joined by an interesting mix here, including Keira Knightley, Jennifer Jason Leigh (one of my favorites) and...McKenzie Phillips? Definitely a nice ride and I would check it out when it comes out in March. Also a Q and A after the film with most of the cast.
Tobey McGuire was in attendance too. Boy did he get a lot of attention.
The last film I saw, was the Dying Gaul. Stars, Cambell Scott, Patricia Clarkson and Saarsgard. Character study about a imspiring screen writer and the Hollywood couple he meets when his screenplay is bought. Not sure of mainstreal audiences will grasp this one due to the subject matter but it deserves to be seen. There was a Q and A with the writer/director of this. Very nice and gracious man.
Other Celebrity Sitings: Roger Ebert, John C. Reiley, John Leguazamo, Ton Arnold, Kevin Smith and Chevy Chase.

I heard a lot of buzz on Kung Fu Hustle. Didnt get to see it but looking forward to it when released.

Shanon

Auditioning
Saarsgard and Particia Clarkson?! I think these are two of the most amazing actors in films today. Saarsgard is amazing in every film he has been in (Shattered Glass, Kinsey, Garden State...) and Clarkson is phenomenal in the Station Agent and Pieces of April! Wow, can't wait to see that one...

why DOES Tobey Maguire receive so much attention?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Yep and Cambell Scott whom I think is very underrated (anyone ever see The Spanish Prioner?)
These three actors were just amazing in the movie and I sat there with a smile on my face listening to the. I think you are in for a real treat. I'll pay to see it again.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Movies I Saw in Park City (I rate on a 5-star scale.)

Sundance Features

212 - *** 1/2
The Girl From Monday - **
The Jacket - **
Layer Cake - *** 1/2
Loverboy - *** 1/2
The Matador - **** 1/2
MirrorMask - *****
Police Beat - ***
Pretty Persuasion - **** 1/2
Reefer Madness - ** 1/2
The Squid and the Whale - ***
Three...Extremes - *** 1/2
Thumbsucker - *** 1/2
Who Killed Cock Robin? - **
Wolf Creek - **

Sundance Documentaries

After Innocence - **** 1/2
The Aristocrats - **** 1/2
Frozen Angels - *** 1/2
Grizzly Man - ****
Inside Deep Throat - ****
Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story - *****
Twist of Faith - **** 1/2
Unknown White Male - ****

Sundance Movies I'm Pissed I Missed

The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Dirty Love, Duane Hopwood, The Education of Shelby Knox, The Emperor's Journey, Game 6, Hard Candy, Hustle & Flow, Lackawanna Blues, Mysterious Skin, Rock School, Strangers with Candy: The Movie, The Upside of Anger, What Is It?

Sundance Movies I'd Already Seen

Kung Fu Hustle - **** 1/2
Oldboy - **** 1/2

Slamdance Features

The Dry Spell - ****
Frozen - ***
Ill Fated - *** 1/2
Mall Cop - *** 1/2
Sledge: The Untold Story - * 1/2
Zombie Honeymoon - ****

Slamdance Documentaries

Abel Raises Cain - ****
Commune - *** 1/2

Slamdance Movies I'm Pissed I Missed

All Souls Day, Mad Hot Ballroom, Malfunkshun, Ringers: Lord of the Fans

Slamdance Movies I'd Already Seen

Male Fantasy - ***
Phil the Alien - ****

--I'll be posting some reviews soon!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Did you sleep while you were there Scott? That's a lot of movies.
Why didnt you care for The Jacket. Curious to know.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious about The Jacket too, that trailer looks terrifying. Did you end up seeing Ring of Fire or The Squid and the Whale while you were there?

Did anyone else go?

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I haven't seen Ring of Fire -- primarily because I haven't been to Sundance, but i've been reading some really good reviews thus far.

I hear that its been picked up by USA and that Sony/Paramount bought the remake rights....

sounds promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks