What's new

Sun Monitor on a PC: Help! (1 Viewer)

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
I have an older MICRON PII-300 that I used to have W98SE on. It worked fine with a standard VESA-compliant monitor but it was only 15". About 18 months ago I acquired a Sun GDM-17E10 (made by Sony). I bought an adapter cable from Ultraspec Cables so that it could connect to my Diamond Multimedia Viper V330 video card's HD15 connector. After setting the display parameters to a generic Plug and Play monitor and setting the resolution to 1024x768 at 75 Hz, I got the monitor to work ( it doesn't support DOS drivers so it would go dark during portions of the start up but I knew that going into it).

To make a long story shorter, I went to a standard monitor 6 months ago. Shortly thereafter, I upgraded to Win XP Pro, which works very well BTW. Yesterday, I decided to try the Sun monitor again and it would only display the POST screen and the very 1st part of the XP startup screen. I emailed Ultraspec Cables and asked for advice. Here is the response:

----Hi,
I suspect XP is trying to be too smart. It wants to talk to a VESA monitor, that model doesn't have true DDC responses, if it is talking to the card,
it is only sending Sun unique data. You will need to disable plug n play on the card and manually select a Sony 17" monitor (if you can) and make
sure the resolution is either 1024 x 768 at 75 HZ or if you have really good eyes, 1280 x 1024 at 75 HZ. You may have to play with it a couple of
times to get XP to accept manual settings.----

I can't figure out how to disable Plug n Play in XP and I can't get to the point where I tell XP that the monitor is now a Sony 17". Can anybody help with the XP part? My motherboard is an Atlanta Pentium II 440LX ATX Motherboard (Millennia® XKU) with a Phoenix BIOS. I'd like to get this to work if possible so I'm asking the experienced people here.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Sorry this is so long.:b

David*Ryu

Auditioning
I think plug-and-play is typically turned off in the bios instead of the operating system.

Users who are viewing this thread