Summing It Up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

If I understand it well, there are at least four factors in mutual relation when building a subwoofer:

1) Size

2) Power

3) Eficiency

4) Amplifier Flatness

Add to this the values of the driver and you can build anything you want, right? Of all those factors, I think the weaker part is the number 4. How can we know the response of an amplifier BEFORE making a sub for it?

Another question, I understand one have to compromise at least one of the three first factors. If the other two remain the same, will alter just one of them will give (automatically) better results? For example, if I have a sub driven by a 100 watts amplifier and just add a 200 watts one, (asuming of course that the driver will support that power) I have a better sub? Or if I just double or quadruple the inside volume, will I have a better sub?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Manuel,

3. Manuel Delaflor

Wayne, thanks for the reply

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Manuel,

I was previously referring to stand-alone component amplifiers, but I get the feeling you’re talking about the amps in powered subs?

6. Manuel Delaflor

Wayne and Brian
    Thank you for your responses, both reach the same conclusions and this have made it simpler for me. I just have a last question.
    Suppose I buy a flat amplifier and one or even two Tempests. I have different ideas of how to work with them (in fact I have played with the idea for about a year now).
    One is to make a couple of sonosubs, another is to use two big speaker boxes that I have around (I can seal it and reenforce them) or I can use one or both in an IB array using a closet with concrete walls that happens to be in a corner of my listening room.
    Im still trying to figure out which would be the best solution regarding price, complexity flatness and extension (which is my main goal)
    I know, there are different answers and I have to make the final desicion, but Im very picky regarding where I put my money and my efforts, so Im taking my time. [​IMG]
    Anyway, my question is why I don't have to calculate any parameter using an IB design?