Summertime Criterion insert?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DavidBC, Jul 21, 2005.

1. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

I just picked up Criterion's Summertime release and it had no insert. I was just wondering if it ever had one, and if so, has anyone ever got a replacement insert from the Criterion folks. I'd hate to miss out if it's a booklet with essays or something Criterion-ish like that.

2. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

I borrowed Summertime from the library and it came with one, as all Criterions do. It had a short essay, but still, you paid for it so you're entitled to it. I once wrote to Criterion because I got a poorly-printed Seven Samurai cover and they sent me a new one without even asking for the old one back or anything. Many others have had nothing bad to say about their customer service, so just write an email to them and I'm sure they'd take care of you.

Also, I've always liked your sig. Even though it's somebody else's quote, I still get a chuckle out of it. [​IMG]

3. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

Yeah, write to Jon Mulvaney; his e-mail's on Criterion's website. A few years ago, I bought a used copy of The Royal Tenenbaums from Blockbuster, and they had thrown away all the inserts from all their copies, so I wrote to Mr. Mulvaney and he kindly sent me one. I was really surprised they did since I'd bought a used copy, but it's made me a Criterion loyalist ever since.

The experience has also made me never again purchase a used DVD from Blockbuster.

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I also bought a Criterion, Picnic at Hanging Rock, that didn't have an insert. I emailed Mr. Mulvaney, and he sent one right out - for Pickup on South Street. But it's the thought that counts. [​IMG] I still need to exchange that.

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I bought a used copy of #51 Brazil (3 discs), which was mint but for some reason had two copies of the 51.2 cover art and did not have a 51.1 cover. I e-mailed Jon Mulvaney and he responded after a couple day's time. He said he'd have the extra cover out to me right away. Got it about a week later in a flat envelope, perfectly mint. Criterion is great about that.

6. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

Thanks, everyone. I emailed them, and they've already responded offering to send me a new one. Great customer service!

DavidJay, I checked out your blog and after reading "Da List", I think you should drop everything and watch "The Iron Giant"[​IMG]