Summer/Springtime is here: Let's discuss Outdoor Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Martin, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

With the addition of a new patio set, my wife wants some tunes out on the deck. I've got a Zone A/B reciever and will use this to power the speakers.

I have a few questions if I might ask from people who have experience with this type of thing but first I have to point out my requirements:

1. Good quality but I'm not expecting audiophile speakers.

2. Weather-resistant

3. Not Bose or Radio Shack quality speakers(I have my standards)

4. Figure under $250 dollars.

5. Must have Binding posts not those cheap worthless spring clips.

Questions:

1. Do I need any special type of speaker wire for this application?

2. Do I need any special type of speaker connection like spades or such? (Thinking of trying to prevent water leakage or something and shorting out the wires thus shorting out my amp possibly or is this a bad thought?)

3. Do these speakers usually come with their own brackets?

4. Suggestions?(seen a pair of Infinity's for $150 a pair locally but I'm not sure on the connection type or brackets as of yet) and I've seen a pair of Niles online for $251 from onecall which includes brackets and Binding posts.

My Home theater room is the room adjacent to the deck/Covered Patio however there is no place to do a drop for the speaker wire so my only thought would be to drill thru the wall that is adjacent to the location however I'm trying to make this invisible. Any ideas?

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Check out the B&W line and the JBL N24/N26 outdoors.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Klipsch offers a really nice set of outdoor speakers, and they sound very nice and need little power du to their Sensitivity

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

5. HarryR

HarryR Agent

Try going to Ebay where Harman Audio is auctioning off numerous N24 and S36 speakers new in box. There is another model they are auctioning called the S26 or N26. Stear clear of that one since you have to buy special brackets made for the speaker separately. The N24 come with brackets and the S36 use a bracketless mounting system.

6. HarryR

HarryR Agent

To answer a couple of your other questions. CL3 rated 14 or 16 guage cable will do fine. I dont think it is rated for direct burial so if you need to run underground, use conduit.

Most better outdoor speakers come with binding posts so connection option is up to you. I think you can pick whatever connection type you like as most speakers are designed not to accumulate water where the wires are. Finally, nearly every outdoor speaker I have seen comes with the necessary brackets except for the JBL model I mentioned above.

7. Kelly Williams

Sonance Mariner. I have had a pair outside for over a year now used daily. Very Happy with them.

8. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

9. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I would also consider Niles OS-6, OS-10, and OS-20. They can all be had on Ebay for a fair price.