What's new

Summer Sandwich (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Just made me one of these, Yum!

Begin with two slices of fresh potato bread. Lightly butter one slice with lightly salted fresh butter. Sprinkle this buttered slice with fresh parmesan cheese, not too much, about a half teaspoon. Next top this buttered/sprinkled slice of bread with two generous slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Continue the build by adding a generous portion of shaved ham (the better quality the better the sandwich). add the Mustard, I like spicy brown. Coat the ham lightly with the mustard, not so much that it overpowers the flavor of the sandwich. Next add a couple of crisp leaves of red lettuce, (any lettuce except iceburg is ok). Add three or four slices of a freshly picked home grown tomato. Add a drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette dressing to the tomatos and lettuce, again, not too much. On the second slice of bread, spread some quality mayonnaise, a little pepper to taste and top the sandwich. Slice in two add a few chips, enjoy…

Just wanted to share this simple pleasure. I love sandwiches.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Me too! I thought I was the only one! I wish I had a nickel for every time someone laughed at my love of sandwiches. So easy to make, so delicious (be creative, now), and you can make them from bread plus, well, anything, really. What's not to love?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
A sandwich is an art, which, when done right, makes your mouth water just thinking about it. And yes, this was just your basic ham and cheese.

If you have ever read any of the 'Deadly Sins' books by Lawrence Sanders, the protagonist, a detective, makes some of the most mouth watering creations as described by sanders in the novels. The detective has a penchant for sandwiches in the late evening, which incidently, is when the fridge beckons me to create a tasty treat.

If this thread sticks around, I'll add other sandwiches, and you are also invited to contribute.

Cheers!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Damn this thread. Last night I got a craving for a sandwich and had to settle for a mere PB & J!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
PB&J. Yes, I'm 40 and still spread that PB thick! :D

Lately I've been buying whole chickens just to have chicken sandwiches for lunch. It's so much better than taking the easy way and buying that overpriced pre-cooked/sliced lunch meat. You just cook it, trim off the meat, bag it, freeze it and take what you need at lunch time. I just use a good soul seasoning when cooking, and pour some of the juice left in the pan into the bag before freezing. Yum! :P

What does everybody have on the side? I like those little cheese crackers. Cheez-its from Sunshine Brand. Not Nabisco's Cheese nips, which are too salty and bland with very little cheese flavor. In fact, I go for the Cheez-its Cheddar jack.

mylan

Screenwriter

I eat a PB and honey sandwich for breakfast most days for the protein kick. I have low blood sugar and it helps keep me going, no time to eat eggs and bacon when I'm running out the door.

All these sandwiches sound good but for me the ultimate summer sandwich is a tomato sandwich, it has to be made from white bread and Blue Plate mayo, a little salt and pepper, and preferably home grown.
Yes, I'm from the South, can't you tell?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
A tomato sandwich is actually quite good in it's simplicity. Certainly home grown tomatoes fresh off the vine is best... yummy!

I eat PBJ sandwiches all the time when out for dayhikes, although sometimes if I'm too busy, I just bring a bagel and peanut butter...

Jay

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My favorite summer sandwich is the classic BLT with the fresh lettuce and tomato. I also like to add a slice of American cheese.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
We had some lean years growing up and I ate many a garden-grown tomato sandwich to keep the hungries away.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you put that homegrown tomato between two slices of homemade bread and spread on some homemade mayo—now that will be a sandwich!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I'm not huge into sandwiches--when you started talking about putting mayo on your creation, you lost me--but I may have to avoid this guy's books. I tend to read late at night, and I imagine he would make me hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RinehartMateschitz
Recent bookmarks