What's new

Summer of '42 DVD on 2/5 (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
I just found out this movie is coming out this Tuesday, Feb. 5. Amazon shows it to be Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1 and with the theatrical trailer. English and French audio tracks, but does not say in what format. Amazon has it for $14.98.

I saw this movie in the early '70s when I was around 11 years old and have loved it ever since. This movie works so well on many levels. Summer of '44 though didnt do much for me. Not sure why.

Anyone else looking forward to this release. Has anyone reviewed it yet?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I love this film. Even though it was set during World War 2, it seemed real relevant during the Vietnam War. It struck a chord with me. It's adolescents coming of age story mixed with the widowed war bride theame so paralleled some real life situations that I was witness to during the Vietnam War. I had to sneek into this film when it came out. It was either rated 'R' or 'X', I can't remember which, but I was mesmerized by it. This one is on my shopping list!

Wayne Earl

Grip
This movie also brings back fond memories for me as I was the same age as the the three boys when I first viewed it.I picked it up at C&L in Vancouver for 16 Canadian pesos on Friday and watched it the same night.The classic ;drug store condom buying scene, was still a hoot and some of the hokey lines had us in stitches:"your coffee is exquisite" or "laughter becomes you" being the most repeated.This is an excellent coming of age story from more innocent times and certainly a treat on dvd.The print has some usual dirt and debris but nothing grossly distracting;colors are vivid and solid.The movie was shot a little hazy I`m sure to give it that 40`s veneer so the softness is probably inherent. Overall as good as can be expected without a major restoration.There are no extras to speak of.I am happy to have this bittersweet reflection of a movie in my collection,check it out.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
My initial impression is that the source material is not very good and the transfer does not look up to Warner standards. Rather soft and faded. As with a few other recent Warner releases of catalog titles, it appears to be Region 0. At least I can verify that it will play in a Japanese Region 2 (not modified) player. Other similar such seemingly Region 0 releases from Warner include Empire of the Sun, Klute and Bad and the Beautiful. It looks like a warmed over LD transfer.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
Empire of the Sun is region coded 1-4.

I've used PowerDVD to check this out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll review this movie later today.

Had it sitting here. Had no idea you

guys would be so interested in it.

Watch for my "HTF REVIEW" by day's end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks