"Summer Holiday" and "The Young Ones" -- enchanting!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulBigelow, Nov 24, 2003.

1. PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Just picked up these two, delightful, musicals on a lark. While, perhaps, not films for scholars, I think these movies are enchanting, particularly Summer Holiday. Pre-Beatles with a slight nod to Rock and Roll these are pretty much, straightforward musicals with youthful, enegetic, performances.

Production-wise I think these movies are much better than they had to be with fine cimematography and high production values. Anchor Bay seems to have done a good job with these films. Defects are at a minimum, the sound is clear and strong, the contrast good and the colors vibrant.

If one is looking for cheery, escapist, entertainment these (seldom seen in the USA) movies are just the ticket.

2. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Couldn't agree more with you Paul. Sir Cliff Richard demonstrates the kind of cinematic escapism and innocence that seems to be all but lost today.

AB have given them wonderful transfers and wonderful extras too, to create a truly wonderful (if slightly sugary) experience.

All together now.... "We're all going on a Summer Holiday"

Bye for now.

3. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Well, a bit of shamless self-promotion, but, I covered these wonderful releases in Scarlet Street magazine a few issues back.

They are charming films, with soon-to-greats (or near greats) working behind the camera: director Herbert Ross, choreographer Gillian Lynne, director Peter Yates. . .