What's new

Sum of All Fears : Maligned? (1 Viewer)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Ok, I just finished re-reading SOAF. Having refreshed my memory, I understand the change of the main enemy.

DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS.

In the novel, it's a Palestinian terrorist group. But the whole reason they do it is to provoke the USA into nuking Iran, to destroy the Middle East peace treaty that the US sets up. Unless you want to do the entire Middle East bit, which takes over 200 pages to set up, i.e. a novel in and of itself, the Planestinians would have absolutely no reason to involve the US in anything. Plus, in this day and age, they probably couldn't play the Russians and the States off of one another; to do so they'd also have to follow some of the Boomer sub-plot, as well as the entire Bock-Keitel subplot into Berlin.

So, I don't know why Neo Nazis would want to nuke the States, but I'm sure they'll come up with a plausable reason.

AjayM

Screenwriter
How are they going to do the nail biting ending that was in the book with a young Jack Ryan? Obviously if they move Jack Ryan back in age he won't be one of the few people holding the nuke ticket to "ok" a launch.

I'll certainly see the movie as I did enjoy the other Clancy movies (and have read all of the books), but I think this one is going to be ultra-butchered to the point that only the names and general premise are left intact.

Andrew

Mark E J

Second Unit
Hey guys,

I've read several advance reviews of the rough cut of this film. All of the people who are fans of the Clancy books seem to love the movie. Outside of changing the the villians and age of Ryan the film is supposed to remain very faithful the Clancy's book. Especialy the second half.

Infact the only negative reviews I've seen are from people who didn't read the book and only liked the Harrison Ford movies. Their problem with the film is that it's too complex, too many characters, and that Ryan is depicted as a kind of intelectual bookworm kind of guy and not an action hero. In other words, just like the books.

So, I don't know why Neo Nazis would want to nuke the States, but I'm sure they'll come up with a plausable reason.
Actually from what I understand they are borowing the basic premise from Debt of Honor.

POSSIBLE SPOLIERS:

In DoH a Japanese billionare whose parents were killed in WWII devises a plot to reverse Japan's defeate and set it up as the only world power. In SoAF the film a German billionare whose father was an executed Nazi war criminal devises a plot to reverse the Nazi defeate in WWII. Exactly how I'll leave blank, but it's the same concept the Arab terrorists had in the SoAF book.

BTW I wouldn't count on Matt Damon for Mr. Clark spinoffs just yet. Liev Scriber plays Clark in SoAF, and from what I've heard he steals the movie. And there are already rumors that he'll play the character in further films.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I was surprised to see this book even chosen. It is easily the most boring of all the Clancy books, and he himself admitted he wrote it more out of wanting to show how easy it was to garner info about bomb making than anything else. The long dissertations in the book rival the lineages of the book of Numbers in the Bible.

Without Remorse, Debt of Honor, et al would have been better choices. This book was incredibly boring and I expect little from the movie. I am sure of one thing. It will be redeemed only by the actors, whom I suspect will under achieve, being limited by a weak script, based on an even weaker book.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"I read that bad guys were changed to a domestic militia group rather than Arab terrorists."
This certainly sounds like something Hollywood would do. As the events of the last year have shown, there's a lot to fear from domestic milita groups, while Arab terrorists just keep getting picked on for no reason.:rolleyes:
With Affleck and Damon as stars, the absence of John Milius as screenwriter, and Jerry Goldsmith becoming ill and possibly not being able to complete his score, the Sum of All Fears looks like it's turning out to be just that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer, and I was totally amazed at how little this trailer jived with my recollection of the book, but as long as the screenplay is engaging, and the acting is good, I hope to enjoy the film. My expectations have been shelved down, though, which will probably help me enjoy it more. :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have passes to see this tomorrow morning. I'd have to skip class to see it, so I was just going to forget about it. I wasn't really all that excited about it, anyway.

However, that review to which Scott linked has changed my mind. The Sum of All Fears sounds really exciting. I think I just might catch it after all!

By the way, is anyone in the New Orleans area reading this? I have enough passes for four people but no one to go with! If anyone here wants to join me, let me know (post here or e-mail me). The screening is 10:00 am at the Clearview Palace theater.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I don't know about Baldwin he's gotten a little pudgy these days. Although, IMO he made for a better Jack Ryan. Personally, I would love it if they stopped following Ryan and moved on to Clark who, I feel,is a far more interesting character.

but as long as the screenplay is engaging, and the acting is good, I hope to enjoy the film
Maybe that's all that needs to be said.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The change was obviously done before 9/11, there simply wouldn't have been enough time afterward with a movie of this magnitude. The decision makers are probabling cursing each other out right now: Arabs would have been a biggest box office draw after all... :)
--
Holadem

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So they change the age of Ryan and some of the other characters from the other movies so they're in their early 30's, but the movie is still set after the others, timewise. Has that been done before in other movie franchises? I'm sure it has, but I can't think of any good examples right now.

I love the other Ryan-movies, and I have high hopes for this one too.

/Mike

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Has that been done before in other movie franchises?
James Bond comes to mind.

And it's not quite the same thing, but I've always been amused by the Simpsons. Twelve years have passed in the series, but the characters haven't aged. I think Lisa has had two eighth birthdays, and didn't they once say Bart was born in 1979?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks