SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS another winner from Criterion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ulmer, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My review is here .
    Not quite unseating Brazil or Carnival of Souls yet, but definately placing in the top ten. Looks great!
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Thanks for the heads up. This is one of my personal favorite movies and I look forward to scooping up a copy of this.
    I also give you a huge thumbs up for knowing how to review a disc [​IMG]. It's very refreshing to read a review in which a well presented mono soundtrack gets an A rating, I find that 95% of the online reviewers never give an original mono soundtrack anything higher than a C+

3. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Auditioning

A classic i thought i could pass up.
    Apparently not. After reading the review i'm sold. Going to have to order this one soon. Just got Criterion's release of My Man Godfrey. Fantastic film, excellent disc.
    I have one question about the commentary with Michael McKean and Christopher Guest. What's their connection to the movie? Are they just speaking as fans of the film or is there a link that i'm unaware of?

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Thanks for the comments Brian. I agree with the "it wasn't remixed so I'll trash the grade" review thing. If it sounds good and suits the presentation, it is good.
    McKean and Guest appear to be fans (no other link is specified). It is a roundtable type commentary, though there isn't a lot of interaction between the participants. They do offer some intersting observations on the film though.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 13, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

5. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Thank you, too, Jeff, for not spoiling the many plot surprises for those who haven't yet viewed the film, as so many reviewers of this gem are prone to do.
    Excellent review. [​IMG] This is one of my very favorites; and, IMO, one of the greatest films ever made.
    ------------------
    The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
    [​IMG] "Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

6. Agee Bassett

Oh, Jeff, I forgot to ask, is the Sullivan cover art we have seen online the one used on the box? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The cover art is the same as we have in the review EXCEPT the Criterion banner has a white background with black text (I'm getting that fixed to the right cover). The spine is yellow, with the same stylized lettering and Veronica Lake charicature.
    ------------------

8. Agee Bassett

So the actor credits, and the tag-line "Veronica Lake is on the take" all share space with the art work? Unusual if true (in fact, unprecedented, I believe) for Criterion. [​IMG]
    Though I am pleased with the Sullivan art work, this unfortunately affirms my fears that Criterion will indeed go with the horribly ugly cover art tentatively advertised for The Lady Eve. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Agee Bassett on August 13, 2001 at 11:12 PM]

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Courtesy of DVDEmpire :
    Front
    Back can be seen here
    Not sure what you mean by the actor's credits on the artwork? Oops, now I see what you are talking about. Sorry, the one we had (should be fixed soon) I didn't look closely at. No credits are on the front the one above is correct.
    To be honest, until you pointed it out I completely missed the cover - it arrived and I spent the rest of the weekend working on the review without really studying the cover at all...
    If Sullivan is any indication, I think the credits will be gone from Eve too, as the preview art has the black banner like the first one we had did.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 13, 2001 at 11:51 PM]
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 23, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

10. Agee Bassett

Is the tagline a first for Criterion, as I believe it is?
    [​IMG] Thanks, Jeff!
    ------------------

11. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I just watched Sullivan's Travels for the first time last night and what a delightful film this is. Admittedly I only heard about it in connection with the Coen bros. O Brother Where Art Thou. Even though it's 60 years old, it hardly feels dated at all. The transfer and sound are first rate, as usual from Criterion. Definitely recommended.
    [Edited last by Richard Kim on August 23, 2001 at 08:48 AM]

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I watched my copy of ST last night and must say that this is another top-notch effort from Criterion. Highly recommended! Now my appetite is whetted for The Lady Eve...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, I'm also looking forward to The Lady Eve if Sullivan is anything to go by.
    ------------------

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Excellent news, mine shipped a couple of days ago, but hasn't arrived yet.
    ------------------
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
    S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
    DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Anyone know if these are the first in a planned Sturges series? I really hope Criterion will release The Palm Beach Story in addition to these two.

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I was listening to the commentary with the subtitles on and noticed a semi-frequent issue where a word would be in italics with the first letter misspelled. Is this on all pressings?
    I only got half-way through, so I'll note some exact times & passages tonight.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ignore that post - I'm a doof. [​IMG] The misspelled words were due to Sullivan's pronunciation when he had a cold, and the italics are there to signify that it was intentional.
    Hehe, no more late-night movies for me. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

18. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Let me put in my request for The Palm Beach Story as well. It may not be Sturges' best, but it is his funniest, with possibly the most disorienting, hysterical openings of any film I can remember.

19. Robert Hutchison

How do the extras on this disc stack up? I'm particularly interested in the documentary and commentary track

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you read my review , you'll see that the extras stack up quite well. The commentary track is quite interesting with the different insights of the four participants. The documentary is also pretty good, though it does contain scenes from other Sturges films. There is a lot more here as well.
    ------------------