What's new

Suitable B4 AMP?? (1 Viewer)

ArtH

Stunt Coordinator
Would this amp be suitable to run the B4 Plus??

Peavey PV2600
Stereo Mode: 4 Ohms: 900 Watts RMS x 2
Stereo Mode: 8 Ohms: 540 Watts RMS x 2
Bridge Mode-Mono: 8 Ohms: 1800 Watts RMS

Total Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.03% 20 Hz to 20 K, 10 dB below rated power in stereo mode both channels driven

Inputs: XLR, 1/4 inch and barrier strip

Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Damping Factor: greater than 300

Hum an Noise: 100 dB

Rack Spaces: 2 RU

Thanks

AH

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That should be plenty of power, but I'm not familiar with that particular amp. The major obstacle to using pro amps is the noise produced by their fans. Make sure the fan isn't too loud on it before you get it.

ArtH

Stunt Coordinator
The only concern I have is that it is not rated for 4ohms in a a bridged mode..Does this matter??

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The amp that SVS sells with the B4 is only rated at 550x2 @ 4ohms. Maybe it can be bridged, but they don't list that on their site. I think pushing 900 watts off one channel would probably be more than enough, but I may be wrong.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The B4 works optimally with about 1800 watts (roughly 500 watts to each dB-12 Plus woofer). People are getting very good results with as little as 800 watts (200 watts pers driver), since the B4+ is quite efficient and can reach high SPL with reasonable amounts of power.

Clearly, you'll be down about 4 dB in maximum output, as compared to a Crown K1, and you don't want to be in the position of clipping the amp just to "see what she'll do" and cooking the VCs. When it comes to subwoofing, it's always better to get more clean power than you think you'll need to avoid clipping.

I would not bridge the Peavey into 4 ohms; it might go up in smoke. The Behringer amp discussed here recently seems to be getting good press for the $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks