Suitability of Mirage centers FRxC vs. OM-C3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin S, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

I know Mirage is not a real popular home theater speaker, but hopefully someone here has experience with these. Anyway, I already have the Frx7 fronts, and the matching center is the FrxC. However, I read on a review board a complaint that the FrxC didn't match well, and the OM-C3 matched better. My wife doesn't mind if I spend the extra money, ($250 for FrxC vs. $350 for OM-C3), but I want to make sure it's worth it, and that it matches well with my fronts. Just looking at the specs, I can't really tell which is the better match. Anyone have personal experience trying these two, or anyone have an opionion?

2. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Anyone??? I know there are a few people on the forum with Mirage speakers. Even the opinion of an Frx-Center owner about the speaker would be helpful (ie. if it blends well or not). I would have thought the speaker that produces so much of the home theatre sound would get a little more interest [​IMG]

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have the frx-7 for fronts and an frx-c for center and i do not notice any problem with blending or pans. i have never demoed the om-c3 so i cannot say it's not a better speaker than the frx-c but if price were an idicator it should be. however, since we all have budgets to deal with...i suggest looking into the frx-c.

kevin t

4. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

OM-C3 is a great center. Doesn't play to well as a large speaker when you are cranking the system, but Awsome detail.

5. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

I'm also running the FRX-7 fronts with the FRX center, and I think it blends in very well - smooth pans and clear dialogue. I didn't have the opportunity to listen to an OM-C3 with the FRX fronts.

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have Frx7s fronts, and an old (6yr) Mirage MCC center channel. My dealer let me take Frx5,7, and Frxcenter to compare all around. I cant speak for the OMC3 but ended up not noticing a big enough differeance to justify spending the cash to replace my MCC(honestly even at loud levels in HT). I love my Frx7s and it was a big help being able to listen to them at home because I was really just going to get the Frx5s. Ask if you can try out thier floor sample to audition. My dealer (not a tweeter but mid - high end audio store) gave my wife a price break when she suprised me with them for xmas.

Do you have a sub, and if yes what kind?

I just ordered a 25-31pci and cant wait. I hope this all helps

7. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Thanks guys for all of the replies. One reason I'm asking is because I've never seen the OM-C3 in the Tweeter's I've been in, so I wasn't sure if I would get a chance to demo it without ordering it. Hopefully I can find a store to demo both, but if not, I'll probably just stick with the FrxC.

Dan, as far as subwoofer, I still have the awful awful (IMO) subwoofer that came with the Kenwood HTB502. Sometimes I wonder if I should just turn it off, since I just keep p***ing off my wife with it (if you turn it up loudly enough to hear anything, it sounds awful).

I'm in the process of trying to find a new subwoofer that she likes the way it looks. I already showed her the SVS, Rava, and Hsu, and she declared that they were all ugly. She suggested the Boston Acoustics PV1000C, but I can't see spending twice the cost of an SVS for probably half the sound (I'm sure that I'm exaggerating a bit). We do have a pretty small living room, so it is hard to hide a subwoofer. Right now I'm thinking something from acoustic-visions, since they use Adire Audio's well regarded subwoofer parts, but can finish the cabinet with wood finishes.