What's new

Suikoden series (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone! I picked up a copy of Suikoden II at Babbages today. I don't know much about the Suikoden series, so I thought I'd ask for your opinions. What are your ideas on the games. A good series? Thanks!

Rob

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It's a great series. In fact, I think it has surpassed Final Fantasy due to FF's transition to whiny effiminate guys and teenie bopper girls as main characters. Suikoden 2 is by far the toughest one to find. Since you have it, I'd definately get Suikoden 1 and play it first. Unlike FF, the Suikoden storylines connect from game to game. The only downside to Suikoden is that the battle system isn't great.

Alanna

Second Unit
Hang onto to that Suikoden! Suikoden II goes for around/about/and sometimes over $100 **used** on Ebay. That means its value is likely to go up over time as long as they don't re-release it so I'd hang onto it. I never have any intention of selling any of my games, but it does make me feel good to know that some elevate to the level of "collector's item" instead of having the price drop like a rock. Its depressing to spend $50 for a game and only two years later its worth a total of $2 (Grand Theft Auto III or any John Madden Football game).

I agree with JamesH...while you CAN play Suikoden II as a "stand alone", its much better as a followup to the original, which unlike II can be "on the cheap" at *most* game stores and definitely online.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies, James and Alanna! I'll probably hang onto Suikoden II, if only because it's so rare. I'm still curious about how anxious I should be to play the games and whether or not I should get Suikoden I. Anyone else know anything about these games? Thanks!

Rob

Alanna

Second Unit
I guess it depends on what kind of gamer you are - the graphics in Suikoden I were not even considered that good for the time (1997). Nowadays, you can imagine they look pretty much like dogpoop. Now I still enjoy Intellivision/Atari games, but to some people graphics are a big part of the experience. The first game can be taken down in about 20 hours of playtime so its not like signing your life away when you start it. That was a downfall then, but now with so many great games saturating the market, 20 hours seems just about "right". Definitely play it first if you want the full Suikoden experience (then again you'll have to follow up II with III...so...get that PS2 warmed up). II picks up right where the first left off. If you are one of those people that can read the middle novel of a trilogy first and not be the least bothered by it, then go ahead... because that's basically what you'll be doing by playing II first off the bat. Plus you can use your old saves from I in II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks