Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianShea, Feb 14, 2003.

1. BrianShea

BrianShea Auditioning

I am currently building my house, and I am looking into what speaker options would be the best fit for my living room. I currently have a Sony receiver, forgot the model, and 2 Cerwyn Vega floor speakers, w/ 10"woofers. My questions are, in a room that measures 21' 5 1/2" by 15' 9", what would be the optimal speaker locations,(height etc) and is it better to go with "in wall" speakers vs. "cubes" for surround sound, and what brands are worth their money. I have been out of the stereo market for a long time, and need some drastic catching up. Thanks for the input.

2. Joel Verinder

Joel Verinder Auditioning

I'm sure that the best possible sound will come from tower speakers if you have the space available. My wife recently persuaded me to get rid of my towers and I went for in walls. I ended up getting 2 Klipsch RCW-5s for the front and 2 RCW-3s for the rear. With a RC3-II Center. They really sound great in a room comparable to yours. It is alos nice to have so much space now that the towers are gone. Now she just has to deal with hiding the subwoofer.

Hope this helps..

3. BrianShea

BrianShea Auditioning

Well with my house design, I allocated a closet to house a big screen TV, my components, and most likely my tower speakers, so they all do not take up floor space. I know I have alot of work, and listening ahead of me.
    So do you prefer the in-wall sound as apposed to your towers? Do the in wall models perform as well if not better. I just would hate to make the wrong choice, building the house alone is costing a bundle. Thanks for the input..

4. Joel Verinder

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give you the most accurate response. I would consider myself an HT enthusiast, not an expert by any means. I prefer the sound of a nice pair of tower speakers considering they are placed correctly. With that said, I don't think you would notice much or any loss in quality if you went with a nice pair of inwalls. Granted, you get what you pay for so the cheapest route may be to hold on to your Towers for now. I love the inwalls that I have and don't regret giving up the towers.

Good Luck

Joel

5. BrianShea

BrianShea Auditioning

Thanks Joel, I guess I will have to go out window/ear shopping to see what sounds good. I am thinking of keeping my towers for the front L/R, and purchase rears, center and a powered woofer. Now I guess the ear debate will be what sounds better, in-wall or mountable speakers for the rear. Thanks again for the reply.

6. Joel Verinder

Brian - What king of speakers are you considering for the rears/center/subwoofer? I'm in the market for a new subwoofer myself.