What's new

Suggestions wanted for receiver and sub for under $500 (1 Viewer)

Tom Jr

Grip
My brother-in-law recently finished his basement, and it includes a basic media room. He has a TV picked out, but needs the surround. He's not an audiophile, so he only needs a very basic setup. The room is about 12x14, with open archways to the rest of the basement. No doors, it's an open floorplan. He has hand-me-down Polk speakers and a DVD player, so all he needs is the receiver and sub.

My first recommendation was a basic HTIB, like the Onkyo HT-S760, for about $500. That was before I knew he had speakers. Beyond that, I'm somewhat at a loss.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a receiver and sub for $500. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Tom

Micah Wells

Agent
I just received my new Panasonic SA XR50 receiver and the Parts Express Tiny Mighty last week. Though it doesn't shake the house, it does produce good bass, and the Panasonic is a nice reciever as well. I haven't had time to play with it much, but it seems very powerful and has all of the options that I was looking for, not to mention the price was right. I spent 290 on the reciever and 150 on the sub, and that included a Dayton subwoofer cable from Parts Express. I am happy with it so far.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Panny SA-XR50 for $225 from E-Tronics. you can then pick up a 10" JBL sub from Deal-Stop for $169. Even after delivery charges you are well under budget.

Can't beat the Panny for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks