Suggestions: Sub $200 Progressive Scan DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by LanceR, Jun 16, 2003.

1. LanceR

LanceR Auditioning

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted as my home theater is finally complete for the time being. However my inlaws are in the market for a DVD player and I'm not really sure what to get them. They have a 65" Mitsubishi that they just bought and I've finally convinced them to go with a DVD, however I'm not sure which to get them. I would like to get them a Progressive Scan model and I'm not really too picky about the Chroma bug (Their eyes are bad and would never see it anyway) and I want to stay under $200. We picked up a Panasonic F85S from Ultimate however it seemed to have trouble playing the first disc we put in (My Cousin Vinny) as there was major problems with the picture (wiggly lines and what looked like intereference but all other discs played fine). The other gripe about the player is the screen on it is really small to see for me not to mention my inlaws. So I thought I'd appeal to you all to see if there is anything anyone else can suggest as a budget Progressive Scan DVD player. Any and all help appreciated.

Lance

2. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Pioneer is coming out with the DV-563A this month for around $249.00

3. LanceR

LanceR Auditioning

Thanks for the info. DId something happen to the forums last night. It says there are 4 responses but for some reason I can't see the other responses. Including the one I posted yesterday. A lot of other posts don't show up for me either. So if you posted on this thread yesterday could you repost?

Lance

4. LanceR

LanceR Auditioning

Well i have to do this post again as it seems to have been one of the ones that was deleted.

I went to best buy to look at what they had and this was the selection:

Samsung DVD-P231 : $89.99
    Panasonic DVD-F65K (5 Disc) : $129.99
    Sony DD-NC665P (5 Disc) : $179.99
    Toshiba SD-4800 (Open Box) : $124.99
    Sony DVP-NS725P : $149.99
    Mistubishi DD-6040 : $119.99
    JVC XVN50BK : $119.99
    Panasonic DVD-S35S : $99.99
    Toshiba SD-3900 : $99.99
    Philips DVD726 : $89.99
    Samsung DVD-C631P : $119.99

I'm trying to compare these to the Panasonic F85S for $149.99. This is for my inlaws ona 65" Mitsubishi HDTV. Are any of these better than the Panasonic? I know that Cheap doesn't always mean bad as the Pioneer 525 I have at home cost me about 75 bucks and has performed admirably in playing discs my $300 Toshiba chokes on. But haven't really looked into players in a while. Thanks for any and all info.

Lance

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I have the Sony DVP-NC655P and like it a lot. It has played pretty scuzzy rental disks with few problems. I don't know what changes they made for the -665 but I would consider it if I were you.

Mark