Suggestions: speakers & interconnects to mate with B&K ref. 30 & 7250

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Vance, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

I recently (yesterday) was made an offer I can't refuse. I can buy a B&K Reference 30 and a B&K Reference 7250 II amp (used from a friend) for $2500 total. I'm selling my Denon 4802, Hsu VTF-2's and 2 pair of B&W 302's. I need to upgrade speakers as well. I'm looking for some suggestions as to what interconnects and speakers may mate well with this duo. This setup doubles as my music listening room as well. Music is more important to me than theater. My tastes run more toward analytical (I like details) than warm & euphonic. I'd like some of both. Nuetral is best. Used or new is fine. My budget is around $5k with emphesis on the main speakers. The lower the better. Fire away guys!

thanks in advance,
    Art

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

This one is pretty easy. First off, B&K is considered warm usaully and their stuff if FANTASTIC with NHT speakers. Audigon.com has several used pairs of NHT's great 2.9 speaker in the $1200 to $1800 range. You could then get the Audiocenter 2 for the center and some 1.5's (or 2.5i towers) for the rear. I also saw some NHT 3.3's for $1800. This is NHT's best speaker ever made (listed for 5k). You should be able to put together a great setup from NHT's older music series which include the 3.3, 2.9, 2.5i, 1.5, AC1 and AC2. Next best would be the NHT VT2 or VT1.2 tower speakers. I'd put the VT2 right after the 2.9's and the VT1.2 is pretty close to the 2.5i.

As for interconnects, I like the AR Pro series for quality, bang for the buck cables. Accoustic Research speaker wire found on 50ft rolls at 12ga are hard to beat as well.

3. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

How about VMPS? I've never heard them.

4. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

I Own both the B&K Ref30 and Ref 7250 II. I also have the Ref2220 for my mains. I have the system coupled with Mirage OM5's for my mains, OMC2 for the Center, and OMR2's for the surrounds. I find this combination excellent for my tasts. You will be hard pressed to find a pair of fronts with a larger soundstage. They do, however, need room to breath since they are an Omnipolar speaker and through out a soundstage of 360 degrees.

KM

5. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

I have not heard the following speakers, but reviews indicate they have the specific qualities you are looking for. And they all come well reviewed.

Anything from Revel
    Focal/JMLabs Electra line
    Monitor Audio Gold Reference

With these speakers, you are looking at $1500 to $4000 retail for the main speakers.

If I was in your shoes, AND I was planning on setting them up properly (several feet away from any wall), this would be the shortlist I would look at.

As it happens, I am in a similar boat as you in that I will be shopping for speakers in about the same budget as you with the exception that I will be putting my main speakers inside a cabinet (WAF - you know how it goes). I will be looking for sealed enclosure designed speakers, and the front runners for me (which I've already listened to) are M&K S-125 or S-150's or Mirage HDT series speakers. I believe they would work very well in your setup as well. Although they are not nearly as good looking.