Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe F, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Joe F

Joe F Auditioning

I am planning on buying a home theater in the near future. I am looking to spend around 7000. This is what I have picked so far. Please give your opinions and suggestions if I should get something different.
    Reciver: Denon AVR-4802 Price:1845
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's plus Sub Price: 1560
    Television: Toshiba 57H81 Price: 3000
    Thank you for your suggestions,
    Joe F

2. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Joe,
    Your choices look excellent! Of course, I don't know the size of the room you have or what your audio objectives are, so it's hard to offer any suggestions on the audio piece.
    I've heard wonderful things about the Ascend package, and that seems like a solid pick for speakers. With your budget, you might be able to drop a little more dough on speakers, but you also have to buy DVD player, cables, and a bunch of other misc junk too.
    Love your choice of TV. [​IMG]
    The Receiver is VERY nice, though with that amount of money, you might be able to experiment with separates and get something that will perform well (maybe better) with both music and HT. If you pick up some solid amps, then all you have to do is upgrade your pre when standards change. nOrh is now selling Le Amps for a very reasonable price. You could consider picking up three of these to power your front three channels, and you're on your way to separates.
    With the basic setup you've menitoned, however, you're going to LOVE your HT. [​IMG] It would be hard to go wrong with those, unless you had a humongous room or something.
    Enjoy!
    John
    ------------------
    System:
    Onkyo 787
    Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
    Center: nOrh marble 4.0
    Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
    Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
    Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
    Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

3. Joe F

Joe F Auditioning

The room I am putting this all in is not too big, I would say about 25 X 15. But I am going to be building a house in the next 2 years or so, so I don't want to get anything that won't be able to handle a bigger room. What are some suggestions on a pre-amp processor, if I decided to go that route? I have a PS2 which I am using as my DVD player now. But I am planning on upgrading to a Pioneer Elite DV-09 (I think thats the number) sooner or later.
    Thanks for the help,
    Joe

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Well, as you can see from my list of equipment, I also went the "integrated AV Receiver route." I just bought some high-end main speakers (the nOrh synthetic marble 6.9 drums), and I am discovering some things about integrated receivers. Mainly, the Onkyo does movies extremely well (after all, that's what it was designed to do), but the amplifier section is not "high end gear" for 2-channel music. After discovering the wonder of nOrh speakers, I'm now thinking I'd rather have gone with separates. Eventually, I'll own both a high-quality pre-processor and high-quality amps. Today, I'm broke. ;-)
    Anyway, I think you'll tend to spend more money on separates (unless you research and shop carefully), but the end result will probably be more satisfying if you intend to listen to a lot of music.
    I'm still in the early stages of this research myself, so I'll let others chime in on good a/v and music pre-processors. The upcoming Outlaw 950 sounds very good from a features standpoint, but I'm again not sure how it'll perform with music. Supposed to ship, when... October?
    For amps, I'll soon be ordering a few nOrh Le Amp monoblocks, and I'll use my 787 for a pre. Eventually, I'll order the nOrh ACA to use as my music pre-amp. After that, I'll continue to use my Onkyo to power the rear channels for HT and as my HT pre-amp/processor.
    nOrh just started shipping the Le Amps, and they are very affordable compared to other high-end audiophile amps (and modular, you can add a few now, a few later, etc). Here's a useful link for info on Le Amps. For a price/performance ratio (quality), I believe these are going to stand the audio world on its head:
    http://www.norh.com/news.html
    Anyway, you'll have fun spending the dough! Coming here and asking opinions was a very wise move. I'm sure the forum will help you to answer your questions.
    John
    ------------------
    System:
    Onkyo 787
    Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
    Center: nOrh marble 4.0
    Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
    Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
    Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
    Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/