Suggestions on supporting top of rptv for center speaker weight?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EddieMata, Apr 8, 2004.

1. EddieMata

EddieMata Agent

I have a 53in. Pioneer rptv and I'm thinking of purchasing a new center channel speaker which weighs 23lbs. I was thinking of cutting a plank to match to top dimensions of the tv and then placing the new center channel. Would that be too much weight or will it even make a difference?

I looking for some ideas to help?

THANKS!

Eddie

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Eddie

A "plank" certainly wouldnt hurt. Ive seen a lot of guys get a 3-8"ish piece of glass to place over the top. This option looks quite nice.

On a side note, my 65" Toshiba has a small amount of sag across the top (after almost 4 years). After adding the front projector to my HT, my CC is now sitting off the floor by 18 inches.

Regards

Gregg

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

My current feeling is that a plank that puts most of the weight of the speaker unit on the side walls of the TV cabinet is best. You would get a wood plank and put two shims on it, one at each end. When the speaker is put over the middle, the plank should not sag so far as to touch the TV cabinet.

I don't think a glass plank works well here because it, too, sags.

This would also not work well if the base section of the TV was narrower than the screen section of the TV even if you put the shims in line with the base's side walls. What happens here is that the pressure points will still cause sagging and misshapening of the screen section.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm