Suggestions on Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike RL, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Mike RL

Mike RL Auditioning

I am seeking some advice on speaker/receiver packages. I have a basement room about 19'x19' which will have a bar/booth in about half the space and the remainder a TV viewing area (but is still one room). I had been looking at Klipsch speakers (RF-25, RC-25, RS-25) and and a 10" Paradigm Sub (PDR10V3). Total cost is about $1,500 which is at the top end of my budget. Looking at a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver ($799). I like it for convenience because it allows one line to run to the TV from the receiver. Still uncertain about the TV but probably a 46' - 57" rear projection. Seating will be 10'-12' from the screen.

Questions: I am starting to be concerned that this is too much (power, size, watts, etc.) for the room size. Also, am I getting the best quality I can for the money? Should I consider bookshelf rather than floor standing speakers?

Thanks for your help!

PS I listened to Paradigm and Klipsch speakers and prefer the Klipsch.

2. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

What too much power? Baaaa u can never have too much power[​IMG]
    Just think of it as now you have a little more headroom for your speakers. personally i think bookshelves would be a bit too small for your room cause i have a 20 by 20 room and 7 foot celing and i need floor standers to fill it to my liking.
    I personally have never have listened to klipsch but i hear there pretty good, hey if you like um thats all that counts right?

3. Mike RL

Mike RL Auditioning

Thanks! I guess I'm getting buyer's remorse before I buy. What kind of speakers are you using?

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Yamaha and Klipsch usually don't sound good together.
    I would look at a Denon 2803, a HK 325, or something from
    Marantz.

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

There must be a high end audio retailer in Indianapolis, that lets you take equipment home and demo it. I know there's one in my city. The other suggestion is there are HT clubs in every major city. You can get to know these people and listen to their setups first before making a decision.
    The problem with retailers is their demo rooms are not set up to the conditions of your basement so you're only guessing.

6. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Mike - Klipsch headquarters are right around the corner from you in Indy - run by a see for yourself...

7. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

Bobby is right Klipsch speakers and Yamaha together are considered "bright" in sound. It depends on the room you're listening in. If there's alot of material in the room that absorbs sound or cuts reverb such as acoustic treatment then the combo sounds good. If there are Hardwood floors no rugs or couches, watch out!

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Like Ian said, Klipsch and Yamaha are a very bright combo. I have the Klipsch Reference 3 speakers and chose a Denon 3802 as I thought this was the best sounding combination.