What's new

Suggestions on Sony Speakers for a Home Theater Setup? (1 Viewer)

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have narrowed it down to these Sony speakers. I am assuming they are new because there is no reviews on them anyhwere.
Sony:
SSM-F400H - Front Left, Right
SS-CN495H - Center
SSM-B300H - Rear
SA-WM40 - Sub
Jason

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The Sony sub is pretty amazing bang for the buck. Bat as for the other speakers, I have to agree with Rob. You can do much, much better for the money.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey guys let's not forget that not everyone here is looking for the most elite bad-a** system.
What Jason has chosen I'm sure will sound great and best of all he won't have to break the bank (all for under $400) to enjoy some 5.1 DVD's. They are far from the Kraco speaker days.
Not everyone has the desire or budget to spent a mini fortune on some of the stuff we around here seem to obsess about at times ("you must buy better or your system will suck" etc etc).
Jason, I say go for it, invite some friends over after it's set up and crank up a good DVD and enjoy!!
Good luck
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed
[Edited last by Alf S on October 08, 2001 at 09:52 PM]

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree that sony is definitely not the brand to go with for speakers, even if looking for lower priced speakers... You can do much better for the dough. Audition JBL, Yamaha, or Energy for lower end price/quality. -JD

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check out the JBL NSP1 speaker set, they can be found for around the same price as the sony speakers.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Hey guys let's not forget that not everyone here is looking for the most elite bad-a** system.
What Jason has chosen I'm sure will sound great and best of all he won't have to break the bank (all for under $400) to enjoy some 5.1 DVD's. They are far from the Kraco speaker days.
Not everyone has the desire or budget to spent a mini fortune on some of the stuff we around here seem to obsess about at times ("you must buy better or your system will suck" etc etc).
1) Neither Ron nor I suggested that Jason should auction off his first-born child to pay for a set of speakers. In fact, I specifically wrote that he could do better while spending the same amount of money. You don't need to spend a lot of dough to get good-quality sound these days, you just have to be a wise shopper.
2) Jason posted here asking for suggestions. I do the same when I'm about to drop some money on new equipment, and I do so looking for honest answers, not platitudes.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
In addition to the JBL set, Harman Kardon makes a $400 HTIB box set that I've had very good luck with.
It's not about $$$$$$$.
I just think for speakers you can do better than Sony for the exact same price.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, I think you are talking about the Harmon Kardon HKTS-2 speaker set. Because he lives in Vegas, he can get the HKTS-2 set at www.acousticsounddesign.com for $339. No shipping charge because they are located in Vegas.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i agree with the above and second the JBL NSP1 speaker package. i saw it for $277 the other day, and it includes 5 speakers. go with the Sony sub you listed...it is great bang for the buck.
IMHO Sony can't make speakers to save its life. a guy downstairs has some Sony towers and my Cambridge SoundWorks cubes sound better. just my $.02
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Once upon a time, Sony actually made a decent speaker. I still have a pair of their "transmission Line" of tower speakers. Solid wood cabinets, three way design with awesome bass response from a smallish 6" speaker. It's all in the cabinet. These cost me about $1200 back about 10 years ago, and they have held out very well. They are no longer being used as a primary speaker, but I was hard pressed to replace these since they sounded soo nice. I eventually went with a complete setup of Energy Concerto towers and bookshelf speakers.
These days, Sony makes speakers that are really no better than cheap Kenwood's, low end Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. These are made for those stereo rack systems that are still being sold.
Better to spend the $500 or so on some Energy's, JBL, and others that have been mentioned. Remember, do not pay retail Brick and Mortar prices for your speakers. The margin on speakers at these stores is usually a 100% markup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks