Suggestions on selling my current speaker setup...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SethC, Jun 8, 2003.

1. SethC

SethC Agent

I currently have a Polk RM5400 set that I have been pretty happy with. However, I am looking to fill a slightly bigger space in the near future, and I am looking at POSSIBLEY selling my current setup to some sucka (jk ;-P) on EBay willing to pay more than they should. In exchange I am going to go buy a new setup.

Current setup...

Onkyo TX-DS676 Receiver
    Polk RM5400 (1x RM2500C Center, 2x RM2000II Front, 2x M2 Rear)

I was looking at either the Polk 66xx, 67xx or Polk 72xx 76xx series systems.

My 5400's will probably fetch $700-800 if I do everything right. I would be willing to shell out a little more, but am on a tight budget (so lets say sub $1000).

1) Are the above Polk packages good?
    2) ANy reviews and/or thoughts on thme?
    3) Any other suggestions of speakers I should listen to in the $1000 price range?
    4) Should I stick with what I got?

I plan on visiting several local home theater stores this week and would liek to have a game plan in mind before visiting.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

2. SethC

SethC Agent

N E 1?

3. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Seth, if you must buy any of the polk surround packages, I wouldn't get anything under the 7600. Any series under that has 3 1/4" drivers that just won't cut it in a big room.

Polks are good speakers, but there are a lot of other companies that make great speakers as well for around the same prices. I personally would prefer bookshelfs or towers from other companies or Polk's own line over the polk sub/sat systems like the 7xxx and 6xxx series.

Go to a local audio dealer, not a store like bestbuy or circuit city and check out the various speakers from paradigm, b&w, etc. Online dealers that have been receiving rave reviews are axiomaudio.com, ascendacoustics.com, and the rocket series from av123.com

Most important thing to do is not RUSH your purchase, there's a world of options out there for speakers and the last thing you want is to make a bad decision and end up not satisfied and continuously changing your speakers.

4. SethC

SethC Agent

Thanks for your response!

I am definately not in a rush. I am just going to go out and look this week at a local HT shop. I was just hoping for some suggestions on brands/models that I should take a listen to in the sub-$1000 range for the entire set (5.1)..?